Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been at it long and the wife is complaining...I can't see why (pic). So my beatup old racecar is inches from her prized possession, I don't see the big deal. 009.jpg
On a serious note...have lots of welding to do. With the exception of trying to do the Nascar sway bar, just going to lower the lower control arms, seem weld some stuff, add some shock tower strength, tie the cage to the front frame rails, build a dash as the original fell apart when I pulled it out.. 008.jpg
Taking my time with this one....don't want to burn out like the last...:bloated: 003.jpg

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Mike, that sounds like an awesome plan. Sounds a little like my own (including the part about taking my time). I can't wait for the updates.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cougar Rebuild 007.jpg For those interested...we talked a while ago abou Cougar Rebuild 006.jpg t FPA headers...here's the pics. Nice tight fit, not to low and fit the ABS Power Steering box conversion, a tad close on the pitman but it'll be good.. Cougar Rebuild 010.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks cool! I Was hoping to see your Cougar at Sonoma last month for the Nor-Cal Shelby event. Unfortunately, there were no Cougars there at all!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I'm finally getting motivated again to work on it. Been distracted with a million things. The Cortina for one..and a friend and I were in partners in a Bullit clone that's falling apart. Now that is for sale...augh!
But I finally figured out a solution to the torque arm/leaf spring combination (some say it can't be done)..this cool little slider yoke deal, got it all grafted to the old Griggs torque arm. This should allow 360 degrees of movement and the ability to slide for and after ever so slightly as the spring goes through its suspension travel. Just finished welding up the rear shackle slider, paint is drying as we speak. So the rear springs will be all assembled, just need to go through the third member and it can all go together....time to cut the floor out to make the Jerico fit... 100_3307.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
This sounds a little more involved than what I was planning, but I'm keeping a close eye on this build. Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to fit the Jerico...trans mount and all bracing gone. Had to cut the tunnel up to make it work..need to build a trans mount.
Gotta get ready for the autocross at Sonoma...time to roll the Cortina out again! 002.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so just in case you might be wondering what your Cougar might look like with the dash cut out! So the tunnel is gone for the most part..the Kirkey seat mounted (all just tacked in), shifter in and Woodward collapsible column on the way. Going to tie the cage into the shock towers and the cowl into the cage in a sort of "v" configuration to the horizontal bar.
010.jpg 007.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the first time in a while, she's actually sitting on all four of her own wheels! Motor angle good, out put shaft on the tranny good 2.5 degrees down, sitting right at its original ride height from before..crossmember sorta done, the only bummer is that torque arm I got from Chris is only like a FOOT off! Sucks..oh well, re-invent the wheel as usual.
oh yeah..and I am getting the first set of the new upper and lower A arms from Maier, with the coilover JRI shocks, so if anyone is in need of some good Maier upper and lower standard arms let me know! 003.jpg 004.jpg 002.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...finally the back half of the car is all mocked up. modified Griggs torque arm with BMR front slider fixture. Personally I think adapting this was the only way to ensure full 3 axis rotation with no bind and the intended result for a leaf spring car. Front mount is all mocked up, pinion angle is set. It is amazing how smooth everything is during it's travel. Driveshaft in.
Update 2...All the new Maier Racing front suspension sitting on the bench ready to go. Howe adjustable ball joints, JRI shocks, lower boxed arms (these are not the arms Mike will be selling, they are narrower), so in a nuttshell...its coming along. Cougar Rebuild 001 (2).jpg Cougar Rebuild 003 (2).jpg Cougar Rebuild 009 (2).jpg Cougar Rebuild 008 (2).jpg Cougar Rebuild 011 (2).jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it is a custom one off hood. A lot of "thumbs down" for the hood but it's gonna work. It's tough to blend a scoop with our Cougars hoods! And learned some important aerodynamics with the old E scoop. It's hard to see but there are vents molded into both rear corners to try and evac some air.

Control arms are slick for sure, and of course being rebuild-able is a huge plus. The lower arms are the first prototypes he did for the 67 and up cars, they were too wide for his taste and was going to throw them out, so I took them to help em out. The Howe balljoints are pretty slick as well, being able to adjust preload and swap stud lengths to tune roll centers...very cool.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More updates...the articulation test. Right rear buried in the well, left front on a floor jack, left rear and right front hanging...the doors still open, non of the gaps are tweaked, and this is without the front Export brace/Monte Carlo bar even hooked up. The rear suspension still jounces and you can see the torque arm "rolling" with the rearend. I think this might work! 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...hanging the new Maier Racing front suspension. This is the prototype for the 67-70 cars so we are working through some minor issues..trans tunnel almost done. Rear housing is straight now, was way wacked...may actually be ready to put the motor in for good beginning Dec,, 011.jpg 003.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts