Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
73 cougarXR-7. stored all winter. now no fuel to carb. added 5 gallons new fuel, but no stabalizer added before storage. unhooked gas line to carb., cranked, no fuel. what direction is the best way to go, pull fuel pump?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Undo the line going into the pump and see if you can get any fuel to gravity flow. If not you may have a gummed up pickup screen. I use a gallon paint thinner can with a couple of quarts of gas with a couple of feet of fuel hose to move my projects around. Tie it securely between the radiator and the left apron and run the hose down to the pump. Cut a 'v' notch at the bottom of the hose so it doesn't suck the bottom of the can. This will help you diagnose the pump. Don't forget to check or replace your fuel filter(s) as well, or first!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the hints, it will be next on the list. I assume the pickup screen is in the gas tank, should be fun! what gas is everybody running to prevent the ethonal issue? or is treating the gas with a stablizer enough?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Do you use starting fluid to restart the engine after long periods of sitting? I always spray starting fluid down the carb right before I'm ready to try to start a stored car. It gets it to light off fast and run a few seconds, then repeat. After this, the mechanical fuel pump should be primed and now refilling the fuel bowl(s). This method avoids a lot of unnecessary dry cranking.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
What I have been doing lately on dry carbs is to use a syringe and inject some gas in to the float bowl. Not to much though. This is a clean and neat way to prim the carb.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Start by changing the fuel filter, its the cheapest and easiest thing to do and it could save you a lot of headache.
Its best to start by the carb and see if it's getting any fuel when u crank. If your not getting fuel, move backwards up the system until you get back to the tank. I recently had to refurbish my tank with POR-15 because rust had built up in my tank and clogged my lines. I blew CLR thru the lines after i finished the tank and I haven't had a problem since...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts