Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the bulbs - before we installed the dash, all bulbs where checked
It's not the headlight switch - I installed another switch and still no dash lights, yes I turned the knob.
It's not that the dash isn't grounded - My brake fluid indicator light works and that needs to be grounded.

So, what else could cause the dash lights to not come on when the headlight switch is engauged? PS. my turn signal indicator light also do not work, but that's another story.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Jeremy

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Bad circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
most of the warning lights not directly in the gauge had their own separate groung---try running a wire to the ground side of one of the dash illumination lights
doctordesoto

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes, to the master plug, the copper strips on circuit board can come unglued and move and miss connection.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
From his profile and previous posts, it looks like he has a 68. I thought the circuit board was new in 69.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all for you insight. I did check the fuse, 2.5 amp and it is fine. I am going to have to tear apart the dash, check the main plug and as you suggested test the grounding on the circuit board. The circuit board is more like a plastic sheet with copper bands running throught it connecting the dots. Adam is correct it is a 68 cougar.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There's a good chance the traces "copper bands" have lifted/cracked not making connection as well. Be gentle with the PCB and if you find trouble you may be able to repair it. On some boards it just stuck to the surface and lifts off. You can use little piece of wire and solder it to bridge the gap or they also make a paint that has a high metal content and you just paint the connection. Here's another method: http://www.ehow.com/video_2369818_repair-circuit-boards.html

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes, to the master plug, the copper strips on circuit board can come unglued and move and miss connection.
Sorry about not noticing the 68 part, there are no copper strips on 68 but I looked at a spare ins. cluster I have, and there is a copper tab attached to the back of speed O and that is where the main ground is plugged in, look to see if this is still hooked up and making good contact, also make sure that all the pins in the plug are good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts