Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leon, remember when I posted that picture of the underside of the 70 cougar you mentioned that the brake lines at the rear looked like they had been messed up a bit. Well today we lost the brakes completely, yesterday I had no brakes when reversing but still some when going forwards, today, nothing, do you think it could be brake fluid leaking out at the back, unfortuantely she is parked outside under a carport and any leaks just dissappear into the ground, so can't tell if it is leaking.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle

Could be a leak anywhere but sounds like one of the circuits is leaking. Check the master cylinder and see if it as dropped.

If it hasn't dropped then you master cylinder may be stuffed. You can generally get the brakes back temporarily
by pumping them quickly if the master cylinder is gone.

If it is a rear wheel cylinder you should see fluid in the drums or leaking out bottom of backing plate.

If you are loosing fluid from master cylinder and can't find a leak anywhere, it may be leaking back into the booster

Unfortunately the only real way to find it is to fill up the master cylinder, jack up the car and start looking for leaks.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Leon, I sort of guessed that the only way to find out for sure would be an involved one, but was hoping for a quick anaylysis, I am forever optimistic. Will check out the master cylinder [which they said they had overhauled] and if it is down then I will fill it and then I am going to be lazy and park the car on 4 strategically placed pieces of cardboard, on under each wheel, if I get no joy that way ......well then.tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
889 Posts
cylinder

I put all new rear brakes on I was losing fluid.When I got the car on jacks I pulled the rear drum off sure enough a leaky rear cylinder a new one at that but it never showed on the ground.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have come to the painful conclusion that the underbelly of my cougar and myself are going to have become aquainted, she needs to know me, and I need to know more about her than she would like. Only small problem there would be the space needed to accomodate my belly and still work in comfort, but I am sure that can be arranged. The next little proplem would be to persuade Stephen to remove his cougar out of our only garage so that I can put mine in, that might take some negotiating.

·
Registered
889 Posts
space

I had to wait for my daughter to go to college to get a space in the main garageand Im not leaving any time soon as its in a million peices in boxes and baggies.Possion is 90% of the law in this house when you have 3 garage spaces and 6 vehicles

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel for you, 6 cars- 3 garages, however, we have 14 cars, 2 garages, in two different locations, logistical nightmare.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We have 3 cars and 1 garage. We had 3 cars and no garage, but I sold 1 to make room for the garage before aI bought the 69. There's never been a doubt about what goes in there! :D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, no guesses where the 72 cougar lives, unfortunately there is no space in the other garage, at the other house, to even move in, let alone put a car in, my cougar is under a carport, which is attached to the house, and pretty well protected from the weather, got a vibracrete wall on the other side, 3 cars fit in, sierra in front, cougar and then the ranchero. All other cars have to suffer until we build a much bigger carport.:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts