Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake pedals? For 1967 and 1968. And where do you measure from? I have two brake pedal housings and pedals, I believe they are both for a 68. I am going to install power disc on my 67, and want to make sure I don't throw out something I can use~!

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
The manual brake pivots from the large aluminum bushing (same place as the clutch pedal on a manual car). The power brake pedal pivots way at the top with a 9/16" head bolt. The pedal is much longer.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am looking at Ebay for pedals, I think I see what you are saying...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In this case, left pedal mounts in "center" spot, right pedal is power brake pedal, that mounts higher up. For some reason, I just had to see the physical difference. "Short" pedal, center to center, 12 inches, long pedal, 15 inches.
Now, will a 68 pedal fit a 67? I think that is what I have, for the longer pedal...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Yes to a 1968, 1969, and 1970 brake pedal mounting in a 1967. Match the push rod on 1970 though.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirmation!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing...I take it that this is the same ( length, mounting point) for all years, with or with out a clutch pedal?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
One more thing...I take it that this is the same ( length, mounting point) for all years, with or with out a clutch pedal?
Correct, 1967-70 they mostly interchange. I have 1970 disc brake pedal in my 1968 XR7. Stock 1968 clutch pedal and 68 pedal hanger. Clutch and brake pedal hang down and are even with each other just like stock.

I say mostly, because 1967 brake pedals only fit 1967 steering columns. 1968-70 steering columns were collapsible, and thicker in diameter. That is why you see a wider jog around the steering column starting in 1968.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts