Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys....

I've taken a break on restoring my 67 XR7, and have filled that time by building a 95 Ford Probe for racing duty in the "24 Hours of LeMons" -- a endurance racing series with a car purchase price limit of $500. The organizers require that you have a theme for your team/car, and our original theme was to turn the Probe into the Beatles Yellow Submarine ( we bought the Probe based on it's resemblance to a sub ). Well, some damn fools ran a CRX done up as the sub back in April, so we had to come up with a new theme. Oh well.....

Being a big Cougar fan, I decided that the logical fallback plan would be to re-create Dan Gurney's 68 Cougar Trans Am car. I painted the car with Rustoleum and a roller ( it's a race car, not a show car! ). I still have to add the period specific decals, but here's what we have so far:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/293420_273094366134900_969922974_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/391478_270957216348615_1730625244_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/296524_274118682699135_865225649_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/251588_274422399335430_1668285112_n.jpg

I'll add more pics as we progress......

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Pretty cool! Now don't hate me for saying so, but it is "Lemans", right?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
For a Probe, It is cool. I never like the looks of them from th efactory. But with the work and paint scheme you have put on it I can say it is the best looking Probe I have ever seen. Does it have the 3.0 V6? My son had a Mazda MX6 that did. My understanding is they are the same car under the skin. Mazda IMHO looked much better from the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments!

For a Probe, It is cool. I never like the looks of them from th efactory. But with the work and paint scheme you have put on it I can say it is the best looking Probe I have ever seen. Does it have the 3.0 V6? My son had a Mazda MX6 that did. My understanding is they are the same car under the skin. Mazda IMHO looked much better from the factory.
It's a GT model, with the 2.5L V6. According to the race organizers, "No LeMons engine disintegrates in more dramatic fashion than the Mazda sourced V6 in the Probe" -- so we have that going for us. The 3.0L V6 was in the first gen (88-92) Probe. The Probe and the MX6 are the same under the skin, and while I like the Probe's looks, I too prefer the MX6.

I still have some Cougar trim to add. I'm trying to find a way to install the grille center piece emblem between the two black painted "grille" areas ( I got a worn used piece from Don at WCCC at a good price ), and I have the driver's side "Cougar" headlight door emblem to install, plus the various decals.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - "Where Halloween Meets Gasoline" looks like fun for sure!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
LeMons is a play on lemons and LeMans. If I recall correctly, it was started as a nose-thumbing gesture toward the high-dollar unobtanium cars that run at LeMans and as a tribute to what a lot of privateer racers do on a shoestring. Car and Driver has run several articles on it since they've fielded cars in the event.

I love what Mark has done to a Probe and can't wait to see it with the decals!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
LOL - "Where Halloween Meets Gasoline" looks like fun for sure!
"Endurance racing for $500 cars. It's not just an oxymoron; it's a breeding ground for morons." Too funny!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Endurance racing for $500 cars. It's not just an oxymoron; it's a breeding ground for morons." Too funny!
My favorite is "It's not just for rich idiots, it's for all idiots". Can't wait for the race......

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is cool!!!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mark what you did there is nothing short of awesome! :) I love it. I always have an ecentric bent for doing wierd stuff with cars myself and you have done a great job on that. Have fun at the race and good luck.

REPRESENT!!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That car does not suck. I've the "Le Mons" stuff before, and always wished I was close enough to be able to participate...

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got the roll cage, racing seat, and harness installed today, courtesy of Axis Autobody in Wadsworth, OH. More work to go, including the rest of the exterior "Cougarfication". Will add pics as we go!

Also......... I couldn't find a proper c-pillar Cougar decal, so I went with an Ohio University Bobcat sticker ( my alma mater ). Looks kinda like a cougar.:)

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hiya Mark! Good to see you back. The Cougar details are fantastic.

Good Luck in the race.

I'm going to run in the Parking Lot Drags at Lake County Speedway (Painesville) on 9/29. It will be my 4th attempt. The first got rained out. The second I was out of town. The third was threatening rain and I bailed out but they ended up running anyway. 9/29 is the last night of the year and my last chance for this season.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
b!tchen. just flat out b!tchen!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
b!tchen. just flat out b!tchen!!!!
There's always some one bithcen about most any thing. In this case I have to agree!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts

Holy carp! That's a lot of tubing! We don't put that much into a 9-second / 145mph drag car! I'd be curious to know what it weighs when you get it completed vs a stock Probe...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts