Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, '67s and '68s had smog systems if they were manual transmissions, '68s had them if it was an FE engine..Right?

So small blocks with auto transmission did not come with them until??

Do I have this somewhat right?

(Yes, I'm gonna barrage this board with dumbarse Small Block Questions for the foreseeable future ;) Sorry!)

I am either having trouble with the search feature here or it is just plain not turning stuff up when I use it. Not the first time that has happened:)

Fire away, thanks!

Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Brian my somewhat early '67 289 4V C4 had the thermactor system on it. I recall reading somewhere that the CA cars had to have the thermactor system. I'm not 100% on that though.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Only California DSO 52 and DSO 53 got smog in 67. In 68 your small block got smog in all states if it was manual trans. Canada had its own rules so you ended up with a 67 air cleaner on your 68 302!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only California DSO 52 and DSO 53 got smog in 67. In 68 your small block got smog in all states if it was manual trans. Canada had its own rules so you ended up with a 67 air cleaner on your 68 302!
Thanks for the input, Don..So, to go further, does this Mean Cali only mandated it for Manual transmission small blocks in '67 and '68, or was it ALL Cougars? And did the rest of the country not have Smog in auto Small Blocks in '68?

B

·
Registered
205 Posts
well my 1967 standard 289 c4 has a Thermactor on it original equipment direct from calif where i lived when i bought it. have to make my own filters for it but keep it .
on as is original. but i did chrome its air filter looks better now see lower left
eng_4036.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
In '68, only small block cars with manual transmissions built for sale in CA had the Thermactor air pump system. My '68 289 (2V)/C4 and '68 302 (2V)/C4 are both original CA cars and are not equipped with the system. My (former) CA-original '67 289 (4V)/C4 is, though, as is a friend's '67 289 (2V)/C4 car. Otherwise, automatic-equipped '68 small block cars had the IMCO (IMproved COmbustion) system.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1966-1967 Fords (cars and light duty trucks) sold in California, generally, all had a thermactor smog system, identified by the four bolt holes for the smog pulley. Automatic and manual transmissions. I heard once that certain other Metro areas (possibly Chicago?) also had this thermactor system.

Federally, 1968 Fords with manual transmissions (including light duty trucks) had thermactor smog systems.

Pretty much if a Ford product came with a Holley 4 barrel carburetor 1968-71, they all received thermactor smog systems (in the USA). Automatic or Manual transmission.

Additionally, some Lincolns and other full sized Ford/Mercurys had thermactor with the 460 engines 1970 and or 1971. Maybe California again?

This is what I have learned, I am not saying always or never.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Scott, Thanks Dennis..Hmm..google IMCO ;)

Interesting stuff..and a good benefit of not having a Holley equipped '68!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe Don can chime in on this one.I purchased my GTE 2 years ago from the original owner and he claims my GTE 427 never came with the smog on it.The car is from Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada.Any way to confirm this?? I also spoke with a fellow that was racing for Ford in Canada at the time and he also agrees.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Maybe Don can chime in on this one.I purchased my GTE 2 years ago from the original owner and he claims my GTE 427 never came with the smog on it.The car is from Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada.Any way to confirm this?? I also spoke with a fellow that was racing for Ford in Canada at the time and he also agrees.
You are correct, no smog needed in Canada but there are documented cases where smog was put on Canadian DSO cars including at least one Canadian GTE.

·
Registered
564 Posts
CJ's and GT's had smog that year as well as all stick shift small blocks. 390 2V did not

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
All 1968 390-2V or X-Codes are all automatic cars, with Autolite carburetors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We had one wiith a 3.25 equa-loc. The doors may still be around and I could check the tag when the snow finally melts and I could look for them. Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts