Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10" wide wheels and tires in the back. The PO did it. So the wheels and tires stick out beyond the top of the wheel well by 1.5". When ever I turn right up into a driveway or turn right around the big turn then the car leans left and rubs on the tire. It only does this when I'm turning right so last night I tried to figure out why. I took some measurements and it looks like the fender lip is only 2 inches above the tire on the left and 3 inches above it on the right. It has new springs and shocks....what should I be looking for? I think I might take off the shocks and see if it evens out. Does any one else have this problem? I don't even know where to start looking.

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
dablack said:
I have 10" wide wheels and tires in the back. The PO did it. ....what should I be looking for? Thanks
Austin
That's the look that went out in the 80's. i.e., motors sticking out of the hood, tires hanging out from under fenderwells...(IMO)

A pair of 7-8" wheels and 225/60's for the rear, 215/60's for the front. Much neater, no tire rub (Again, IMO)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Do you have new springs just in the back or all the way around? A bad lf spring (or spring perch) would let the rr ride higher. Otherwise I suspect a unmatched pair or rear springs even if they are new. mm

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MM,

I will take a look at that tonight because I get some noise when I turn real sharp. I also have drag shocks in the back that are adjustable. I might have put them on there adjusted differently. Who knows.

Art,

Yeah, it looks like $#[email protected] to me but the tires are brand new and there are alot of other things that I want to spend my money on right now. I thought I had a line on some 95 Cobra rims and tires but the spacers were going to have to be 1.3" and cost $55 each! I wish the newer mustangs had the same backspacing as us. O,well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dont worry about the look too much, that WAS the look in my day so I dont mind it still today. mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
I dont think the shocks are the culprit. I just put new springs in and the R and L sides measure out exactly the same. Check the orientation of the end of the coil and make sure it is butted up against the tab on the spring seat. Also check to make sure that the spring insulators on top are the same size and seated properly.

-Austin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Austin (crazycat),

I think you and MM are right. I pulled the shocks and readjusted them and it didn't help. With the rear off the ground, frame on jack stands, the tires were an equal distance from the body so I know it isn't the springs. So I put it all together and pu the car back on the ground. I meassured the front left compaired to the front right and .... the front left is an inch lower than the front right. I think the front left is bad and is pulling the back right up. I also do get a popping sound sometimes out of the front end. I bet that is it. I was planning paint and body first but I looks like I will be ordering parts instead. At least its a 68 so I don't have to mess w/ all that 67 stuff.

MM,

With my car all primered up, the interior stripped out, and the wide rear tires....it scares the crap out of the import guys. If they only knew that I can only do probably 16 in the 1/4.

Thanks Guys,
Austin

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just thought of something else. Pull out your shock and shock mount on top of tower and look straight down inside the spring to the spring perch. THis way you can see of the perch is dead center. Maybe the spring is offset a bit causing the height difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts