Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to redo the seats in my 69 XR7 vert. The originals are leather(white). Price is substantialy different(375 vs 950 -1100min) for just the buckets. Rktmn prefers leather because of the look, feel, etc. John's cougars puts vinyl in his driver & Ken's cougar prefers leather. I personally have never owned a leather interior, so I don't have a clue to maintenance, etc. Can anyone else share their experience? Sure I would like to keep it leather, but the price!!! Also, is it more difficult to install leather covers over vinyl? I have not redone any seats yet.
Thanks all for sharing! Bob

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'd like to hear opinions on this as well. I am going to be re-covering the seats for my 67 in a month or so and have to make a decision (but unless there's some REAL good opinions on the leather, financials will limit me to vinyl!!!)
:D
Scott

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can get repro leather seat covers for less, I have heard the autokrafters are pretty good. I have a set of vinyl seats right now and I'm going to use them untill I recover the xr7 seats. as far as care, you should use leather conditioner and cleaner. There is something about leather seats that is a real nice feel. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I put a set of repo vinyl`s in my 70 convertible, the difference is the material, there are a few ways to keep the condition of leather in good shape from dryrotting out, and cracking.Where the vinyl you can use a soft rag and some soap and clean them and use a little armour all and they be in ok condition. I was thinking of putting leather in my 70 eliminator but thought after a while , i live in florida and it gets really hot and i dont feel like burning my legs and butt and back off sitting on a hot seat..Not to mention pricewise as well its more in leather then vinyl.
thanks
pat

·
11,000 Posts
Auto Krafters only offers vinyl XR-7 seat upholstery.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
leather vs vinyl seats???

Leather has a big advantage over vinyl or cloth. It's the only one that doesn't obsorb odors or stains and is water proof.
Leather is actually easier to maintain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Leather vs Vinyl

I had torn up leather in my previous Cougar. My new one has vinyl replacements and they are just fine. There is nothing like real leather but for me, the cost was not worth it. The vinyl has correct grain and whatnot and looks better than torn up leather:D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Vinyl is good for me as well.
My XR7GT I would probably have gone w/ leather eventually had I still owned it. $1350 is a lot of money for the 67 Xr7 Saddle Leather. I only want the skin not the whole cow, right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boy, you got that right!!! I guess that I still am having a real hard time with seat recovering costing more then half of my body, paint work. Granted, the body will not be "concours" but the work has been first rate for a driver. Not to mention the fact that my wife will want something comparable "pricewise" for her hobbies.
However, I plan on going to Columbus for the swap meet(my 1st ever), so I might not have to worry about making a decision due to lack of funds once I return! lol! Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts