Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 XR7 with leather seats (white) as you can see with the attached picture they are in reasonable shape. I am looking for tips on how to repair the crease marks and make the leather soft and supple again. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kelowna Cat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can clean and condition it with Lexol or Blue Coral. Unfortunately leather does crack. It's part of it's character, it's not really a bad thing. It does show up more so in a white interior though.

If it bothers you, it can be dyed. I had a seat section (driver side bolster) replaced and the upholsterer blended the section in. I'd been told you can't dye leather seating surfaces, but it's been almost 2 years. I don't think you can dye just the cracks. I dyed the horizontal vinyl pieces, on saddle interiors it turns into a grayish cadavor color LOL. No sign of wear there either. I used a plastic/vinyl prep that helps it adhere.

As a last resort there are XR-7 interior kits available in leather or vinyl.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
tim, as close as you are to mexico...

i'd have thought you'd pop over the border and have a leather job done down there.

it has been a few (22) years, but my cousin took a 59 el dorado convertible somewhere in mexico and had a new top, all new leather seats (tuck and roll) and carpets done for $500. even with inflation, it should still be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
TJ tuck and roll? No way! My 64 Falcon Sprint had a tuck and roll job. Thankfully underneath was the original upholstery. The upholsterer used them for a pattern to make new ones. This was before any kits were available.

I'm not slamming Hispanics. Ted is, who did the work was born in Mexico. He did beautiful work on three cars I had. He even found the silver mylar welting. But the general level of work (interior or paint) in TJ is substandard. I'm sure there are good shops there, but they are mostly 'quickie jobs'. That's what the people who go down there want.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts