Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've realized recently that I'm lacking when it comes to my knowledge base on electrics. And, I'd really like to learn more about modern stuff like LED's, nav system installs, and stuff like that.
I can wrench. I can upholster. I can paint. I can even fabricate and weld. I just have a big blind spot for electrics.
So, does anyone have a book or website they recommend for getting the basics down?

Nothing is too basic, really. Seriously. :flash:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I bought a book from Eastwood, Automotive Electrical Handbook.
Lots of info and if I would ever finish reading it I would know more.

You could take a night class at the local Tech school.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
A very good friend of mine, Tony Candela, just finished a book for Car tech publishing called Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems. It is hands down the best 12v book I have ever seen. Read this, and you will benefit from years of hands on experience. As a bonus, I can get autographed copies if any body likes. It is available right now at Amazon and will be one the rack with the other Car Tech titles at the cars parts stores soon.

This is the one to get.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
There is lots of free info/training stuff on the web...just google basic electronics. You will find tons of good info. Start with AC theory, then DC theory, it will help you to truly understand what is going on when you move into solid state components, Resistive, capacitive, and inductive circuits. It's actually pretty easy when you understand what components do what and how to calculate current and voltage requirements for given scenarios. For car stuff it's not all that involved for the most part..... when you get to circuit boards and chips things get hairy.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Remember (voltage = amperage x resistance) is the basic formula and (watts = amperage x voltage). if you know two you can figure out the others and always check for voltage in parallel, amperage in series, and resistance disconnected from power.

·
Registered
790 Posts
www.the12volt.com

Soak your little mind like a sponge! Seriously, I can spend days at a time on that site as long as I have coffee... Covers the basics from Ohm's law, diodes, resistors, and what not all the way to the science of enclosure design, then there's the nifty little "Forum Link". The bottom of the home page has some suggested additional reading on electric too.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yea i would start there, i have had 2 electronics classes in hs, 3 automotive calsses in hs , and 8 electronics classes in college, and eec certified, (yes i am ford certified) i am currently teaching a counterman newbie in parts and i am having a real problem being over techie with him , so i am having read through textbooks before i try to teach him anymore, as i just breath this stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts