Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a small puddle of antifreeze under the passenger side of the car. On closer inspection, it looks like the rearmost freeze plug on that side is weeping. I expect it simply is rusted and needs to be replaced. Is this hard to replace with the engine in the car or am I looking at pulling everything apart?

Any tips on removing and installing a new plug will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im thinking if you remove your starter and exhaust manifold, you could get to it. It isnt easy to do with the engine in the car but it can be done.
I wouldnt recommend using the expandable rubber plug....I had a nasty experience with one.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get at it last night and luckily, it was the one right next to the starter. I didn't even have to remove anything. The old plug had a significant rust hole in it that was caked with some sort of goop that I can only describe as having the consistency of chewing gum. I can't believe it's lasted all these years without a major leak.

The car gods have smiled upon me this time and I pray that the condition of this plug is not representative of the others.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If you get a long weekend, make plans to replace the rest. It's not that hard to yank the engine and replace them once you rent a cherry picker.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
are the new ones just press fitted in? Do you use some type of sealant on them?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're press fit with black rtv sealant. No leaks (so far).

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was able to get at it last night and luckily, it was the one right next to the starter. I didn't even have to remove anything. The old plug had a significant rust hole in it that was caked with some sort of goop that I can only describe as having the consistency of chewing gum.
I hate to say it, but you probably already know the others will be simalar. My car has had that same crap show up....my guess along the way a someone used some "stop leak"
instead of properly fixing the problem.
Im glad you got it going though. I like when the Car Gods smile...

·
Registered
160 Posts
i just replace one in my car, the middle passenger side one behind the motor mount. Took about two hours to do only cause I had jack up the engine, remove the motor mount and then hammer it in with the freeze plug tool (its a L shaped tool ). put everything back and no leaks. Thought about doing the others but the rest seem to be ok, as if they were replace before I bought the car.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I use permatex 3H aviation sealer on them. And a socket about an 1/8 of an inch smaller to install them with. If the soket is to big it will become trapped inside the cup once installed.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^Ditto to Don's fix. Also go to Brass if your going to the trouble to replace 'em. Then they will never rot out on you --- Particularly if you have the motor out!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm amazed this didn't strand me on the highway somewhere. That stop leak gunk must be pretty powerful magic.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Been so there and done that. I to was a lucky one. The others looked pretty good. Drivers side. Didn't have to remove anything.
Freeze plug-garage (2).jpg Freeze plug-garage (3).jpg Freeze plug-garage.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts