Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! any ideas on how to get right side of pan to seal. I've tried everything from banging pan back into shape, new gaskets and sealant on entire row of bolts and still no joy. I do not think I've over filled because after I add fluid dip stick is still dry. Is there a trick to this?:confused:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I just posted in the shoutbox but - the trick is 1. use fresh gaskets, 2. DO NOT overtorque! 3. Follow torque sequence (inside out) 4. use sealer at the corners where main rubber meets pan gasket. Otherwise it's not a bad idea to go with the modern 1 piece gaskets - Summit/Jegs/Rock etc carry them...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! do you happen to know the exact torque specs for these bolts. I could not find anything specific and only data I was able to find for ford was between 77-119 in pounds which is equiv to 10 ft lbs. is this the right torque?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - yeah, that's enough to wake up the dead!! What happened to the craigster anyway?

That reminds me - I gotta start hunting down a BB C6 for the vert. I just picked up a 390 for $50!! (73 though...) pretty good score - it appears to be in good shape. I'm resisting the urge to get the stroker kit - but I will not put the iron heads and manifold back on - shes gonna drop 200 lbs real quick like.....

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I've got a line on a FE C-6, but you'd be better off finding one local... Check PU trucks/vans, too, since they used FEs longer than cars did! Don't know about shift levers though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts