Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad noticed a steady coolant drip coming from underneath the car today. We got underneath it and looked, and can see where it is coming from, but I dint have any idea what this is. There is a small rubber tube, about an inch or so in length, with coolant steadily dripping out. From the looks of what the tube is attached to, I would have thought this was the kicker panel on the passenger side since it is to the right of the block. Is there just supposed to be a plug there that came loose or is this hose supposed to be attached to something?...help?:cry:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Are you sure that it's coolant? It sounds like the A/C drain. If you have been running the air conditioner prior to seeing this, be happy - it's supposed to do that. If you haven't been running the A/C or if it is really coolant, not water, then be sad - it could be your heater core/hoses are leaking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This most definitely looks like coolant...:( I just don't know why it is dripping from this particular spot...know where I am talking about? I know I didn't explain it too well, but I don't know how else to explain it...:1zhelp:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you have A/C then there is a 1" long hose on the passanger side that drips out the condensation that occurs within the evaporator. Clear water dripping from that hose is not a problem. :)
If you have a leak in your heater core than it may be possible that coolant (antifreeze or dirty water, depending on what is in your radiator) will drip from this hose. :(
If you do not have A/C on your car then you shouldn't have this particular hose and we are on different streets. :)

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like it could very well be my problem...I do have a/c, but this is most definitely not water. So let's assume it's my heater core...I am brining it into the garage tomorrow to see what they have to say, any idea of how much I might have to pay to get this thing fixed? Roughly?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't know how much it will cost, it is a PITA and it's even worse with A/C - very time consuming. I know that there have been discussions concerning this on site before. Do a search for "heater" or "heater core" and you will find them. If I remember correctly they were discussing price to have it done. I have always done my own, but I have never had to do one with A/C.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...seeing as how I am basically broke, is it fairly easy to bypass the heater core? I won't need to worry about it until winter, and even then...San Diego doesn't get that cold...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well...we were able to do a bypass on this thing so I won't have to worry about it right away. I had some vapors coming from the general area of the heater box when I ran the car, but everything is sealed up tight and there is no more coolant leak. Some coolant did spill onto the manifold, so I will assume, for now, that that is what caused the vapors. Anyway, it looks like I am either going to start saving my cash, or doing massive research to tackle this job on my own. I will probably be asking A LOT more questions. Thanks for your help Rktmn.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts