Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that the leaf springs on our 69 coupe are shot and need to be replaced. If I go to the Mustang catalogs, I can get replacement leaf springs cheaper than if I go to the Cougar catalogs. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 69 Mustang and 69 Cougar leaf springs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Having done my leaf springs I would strongly recommend using a local spring shop. One side came off in 10 minutes and the other side took a day due to the eye bolt in the front being seized inside the hardened steel casing inside the bushing. I have since learned this is a common problem. Once I got my front end complete, I had to remove the leafs since they didn't have the rear high enough. For about the same cost, you could go to a local spring shop, tell them the height you want the rear at, and be done in less than a day. While I enjoy working on my cat, if I have to do leafs on another, this is the route I will go.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just like to add that Mustangs Plus has 4 and 5 leaf springs for Cougars. They will cost you a little bit, but worth every penny.:1poke:

·
Registered
78 Posts
jmonfort,

polanskys makes a great point, I just finished my springs in what I thought was a 1 weekend job. It took 3. Yes, My eye bolt was seized in the casing on the drivers side. and sure enough on the passenger side, it popped right out, but of course, that's the side that the rear shackles got stuck. I wound up grabbing a SawZall and going to town!!!(get a little frustration out too). I ordered and used the parts from ESPO, and I am pleased with the parts and service. I have a 70 standard.
Here's a rundown of the ESPO stuff I used:
2 Leaf Springs $120.00
2 End Bolts $4.00
2 Shackle kits $ 30.00
4 U-bolts $12.00
4 Axle Pads $20.00
1" overstock $30.00
total w\shipping and tax:$256.22

I also figured while I was under there i'd do replace the crappy Midas shocks that were on that thing for who knows how long.
I may actually have some time today to post a before and after pic. If not, e-mail me and I'll send one to ya.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What about for a 68?

I'm almost finished with the body and getting ready to start on the suspension. I've seen a lot of ads in Mustangs and Fast Fords for leaf springs with a lift of 1 1/2 inches. I guess I should be sure they'll fit before I gete them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leaf springs

When you were taking the leaf springs off, had you decided to replace everything anyway, or were you trying to not destroy the things that were stuck? I am planning on replacing everything, don't want to deal with this again. May do some rust-preventive measures while I'm there. I have a saw-zall and big ball peen.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had planned to replace everything. Sawzall access is difficult without damaging the surrounding area. I used a cut-off wheel and cut the leaf. Put anti-seize compund on the sleeve and/or bolt when you reassemble.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts