Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have replacement leaf springs that are warped/ defective? This is more a rant than anything else...
I'd replaced the leaf springs in my 67 a while ago. Before having done this, the rear was straight - albeit sagging. Heh, kind of like mine, but I digress.

So we got it all together and somehow the axle was off center by nearly a full inch toward the passenger side. Well, I couldn't do much about it then, and when it might have been convenient we started in on the body work, paint, etc. and those springs dropped in priority til just this week.
I just got done putting in a nice 9" rear w/disc brakes, braided stainless lines, locking.. ahhh... and the off center problem persists even worse than before. Well, I'm about to go out and rip those ^&%#*&$ers back off there to send back. Thank goodness for lifetime warranties.

From what I can see, the spring on the drivers side is literally warped sideways which down the line is throwing everything off. Not to mention, the peg for retaining the bottom rubber pad is sitting about 3/4" forward from where it should be.

Anyways, I'm just a little perturbed about this and wanted to share.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Total bummer!

I'm looking forward to replacing my leafs very soon. Did you buy these from somebody we should avoid purchasing from?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's a fluke

I'd bought them from Mustangs Plus ( www.mustangsplus.com ) and I wouldn't advise anyone to avoid them - I'd say it's one of those random and unfortunate occurances. The gents at Mustangs Plus have been hospitable and provide good parts, service and prices - even if it's for Cougars.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Logan ~

my roomie has twp pair of mustang springs in the shed out back, we were going to put a set on my 67 cat.. that's when I found out about that whole 3" wheelbase thing. even sitting there next to each other on the garage floor you can tell there's no way in, yeah, that they'd come close to spanning the length of the mounting points... or, maybe if you heat them up to glowing and lowered the car onto them so they FLATTEN out.. hehe, hm, lowwwww riiiiiiiiiiiii derrrrrrrrrrr... bomp bomp....

I need springs too... :(

OC

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i think 80% of us on here need new springs. i could use new rear ones, but the soft front ones might actually be helping weight transfer lol. im too broke for that anyway right now. and if i had the cash im not sure thats what id do with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logan - they might have goofed, but the length generally lined up the same as the originals. This afternoon I sat the original spring from the driver's side next to the one spring that seemed the culprit and though they were the same dimensions, the bad one did have the peg off a little - about 3/4" or so too far forward - and it is plainly crooked from one end to the other.

I've just completed putting the old spring back on the driver's side and now the back tires are even on both sides as they should be... now if I could only get these damn old tires off and the torq thrusts back where they belong. Stripped lug nuts are no fun either but I've already filled my gripe quota for today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts