Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Is there any problem with using leaf springs with a 2" lift on a 73 cougar? What is the maximum lift before problems occur? Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
I can't answer but as a fellow 73 owner was wondering why a 2" lift? I just replaced my rear leaf springs with stock which rasied the rear about 1" ( I would have like another 1") So I was curious to your reason. I did put shackles (sorry for the curse word) on my 71 back in the day just so the body would clear the 50's but back then I was less worried with originality.:smoke:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want that raked look but I don't want to create problems. I have air shocks now and want to do away with them. I have read a lot of threads about how bad they are. The rear end is to mushy for me. I am worried about changing the pinion angle. I have read that it can be a problem. When I air up the shocks to 70 psi I get the look I want. It raises the car about an 1 1/2". Most raised springs that I have found come in 1" increments. I just need to know how much higher I can go over stock springs without causing problems. This includes using longer shackles. I have read where longer shackles can be a problem also. Right now my rear end is slightly lower than the front end. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know that new leaf springs will raise it up if your are all played out, but keep in mind you can achieve this look also while increasing the steering and turning performance of your can by lowering the front end of your car by doing a "Shelby Mod". Google it,,,,

Also, some of the mushy-ness in the rear can be attributed to the rubber pads in between the leaf springs and the spring plate that the u-bolts are on.

You can find a direct match to the set up by using Ford Mustang u-bolts, nuts, and leaf spring plates. Cheap mod but you loose the rear end wiggle.

These are on my to-do list for April, the Shelby Mod is supposed to really work well, we will see on my 69'.

Best of luck- J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi J, How long did you have the shackles on the 71? Did you have any problems? How long were the shackles? Thanks, Ralph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts