Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey -
It's time to replace the old leaf springs. Any recommendations? The car tends to sag a bit in the rear. I'm wondering how much new springs will change the stance. I've already replaced all 4 shocks with quality gas shocks.
Thanks in advance- Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
You definitely will be able to tell. Go to autokrafters.com if you’re looking for a reasonable pair.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sagging Rear

It looks to me from the old sales literature that the Cougars sat low in the back when they were brand new. A lot of the literature I've seen pumps the "European look"; I guess Europeans are into sagging rears. My 68 Standard sits low too, but I hesitate to change too much because I like the weight transfer on a hard launch.

Ron.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Seeing as how slammed looks are all the rage in muscle cars nowadays, with a cougar, you just need a 1 or 2 inch drop in the front to make it look completely badass...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did my leafs about a year ago, but they didn't bring the rear up much. I sent them back recently and now am happy with the height. Taking them off the second time is easy. Not so for the first time. You may want to try a local spring shop, and tell them the height you want if you are not doing the job. There is a good shop in Pennsauken, NJ called Triangle Springs.

Steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
Any time one works on either suspension bolts or ehaust bolts, I find wetting them down with WD-40 about a week before makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A trick I learned when the front bolt is rusted tight inside the front bushing and no amount of pent oil will help is to get out a saws all with a metal blade and reach in on both sides of the spring bushing and just cut the bolt. Saves alot of time and frustration. Just buy 2 new bolts when you get the springs, and while your at it you may want to pick up new shackles also as there really pretty inexpensive. mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts