Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have posted this story in General Discussion before, but it really belongs here.

Long, long ago... 1984 I think it was, back when my Cats were all in one piece and on the road...

My kid sister needed a dependable car for her senior year away at college. Her old 73 Catalina had finally given up the ghost. (Yes, this is the same sister that changed the gas tank of the Catalina in the parking lot of her dorm, but that's another story...) Now mind you, my sister stands about five foot even and is something of a tomboy to make up for her size. At the time she wore her blonde hair in a 'pixie' haircut, or whatever you call it.

I told her she could use my 'spare' 73 Cougar (Beta Cat) for the school year, provided she 'paid' me with a set of nice white letter tires to put on the painted Magnum 500s I got from a Granada. She agreed. Off to school she went.

Beta Cat is a work in progress. The car is Pewter with the half vinyl black top, black leather interior. The outside? well, I bought the car for $150 bucks, so it wasn't in the best of shape. The right rear quarter is smashed up, the right front fender was hit, and the right door was also crinkled. Before she got it, I had hung a NOS front fender on it (still in the factory black primer), and a NOS door skin (primed in gray). I didn't bother fixing the quarter panel, I just beat it out to resemble what it should look like. Hmmmm. Beater, eh? Well, the good part was, the car was a 'Q' code 351C-4V, but something had happened to the original engine and the engine and trans were both replaced. Well, it just so happens that I have a spare CJ motor laying around, so in that goes, along with Alpha Cat's CJ (10-1/4") torque converter. My spreadbore carb's aluminum EGR spacer plate was eaten away and since I could never get those Motorcraft speadbore carbs to work anyway, I threw on an earlier 4V intake and used a Holley 600 vac secondary carb from a 66GT 390 Fairlane. Oh, the factory CJ camshaft was going south so I installed a Crane Econopower 260 cam in its place. Close to the CJ in specs. Anyway, what I'm getting at is the car looks like hell but runs sweet. I had been running it at the local dragstrip all summer, and it would run 14.40s on street tires, through the full factory style dual exhaust. Did I mention the 3.70 posi rear gears?

OK, enough back story. Little sis is out driving somewhere down at school. She is going to Miami of Ohio, a preppy business school. This carload of guys in a done-up 72 Chevelle pulls up next to her at a traffic light. (You know, nice shiny paint job, stripes, jacked up, headers and header mufflers...) They're making fun of the car and the little blonde pixie driving it. Not a good thing to do to my sister. The light turns green and she straight punched the accelerator. <poof> She's gone in a roar of the exhaust, a screech of the tires and a whisp of tire smoke. The carload of guys were dumbfounded. They catch up to Sis at the next light. They're peeved. They can't be shown up by a girl. They're taunting her, daring her to try that again. They weren't ready, etc., etc., etc. Light turns green and <poof> she leaves them in her dust again. They ended up following her all the way back to her dorm, where they make her pop the hood. There sits this nasty-looking 351C-4V, all rust streaked from me pouring water on it for cooldowns between runs when I was racing it. One of the guys says "Oh, a Cleveland CJ, eh? I shoulda known!" Sis played dumb and said she had borrowed the car from her big brother. She knew better. She knew what it could do.

Anyway, word of my sister's street racing antics got back to me and I took the car back before she could do some damage. My word is my word though. I promised her a car for the school year. She got my Plymoth Reliant instead!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Girls eh!! I could go on about my wife driving the Cougar, but I dont think theres enough space for all of them. But I did have to change the clutch, (she fried it) and get new tires (my fault too, not just her, but I blamed her, hahaha),.
I built her a 68 Fairlane 500 Fastback, 289, auto, C4 stage 2 kit, 8 in. w/3.55 gears. Now she can do what she wants, she has to buy the tires, so she takes it easy on them. Go figure.

Rick

here's the Fairlane I built for her.

Attachments

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Storyboard stories

C'mon guys! You guys have got to have some stories out there!

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I can't believe you took the cat away from her for teaching those chevvy boys a lesson. It could only have been better if she done it with the dented 1/4 and rusted door and fender. A plymouth reliant??? Seems like cruel and unuasual punishment for a job well done. Theres nothin I like better than teachin those chevers a lesson or two and by a girl,,, priceless. Congratulate your sis for me.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I agree with Ray, shame on you Milo, taking it away, I would have had it redone up for her.
I love it when some twit does the rev rev thing next to me at a robot, except when they act like idiots and at the next stop light try and pull in front of me. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts