Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1967 non-XR-7:Fixing multiple electrical problems from under-dash corrosion, and repainted the steering column and reassembling. There is a small molded plastic piece that surrounds the emergency flasher plunger that has the words "emergency flasher" molded in. I cleaned and repainted it because it looked rough, using the color of the column (metallic blackish).
Despite the car needing a myriad of more pressing repairs and the economy in turmoil and we all may die any moment from global warming, is the lettering painted white, or left painted the color of the column (assuming that it actually painted the color of the column and not just painted black)? It is certainly a silly question, but it is there in my hand, and I have gotten this car for the fun of it, and I have enjoyed the little things like this that I can assemble with a bizarre misplaced pride. Anyone have an original column that they want to look at and see for me? Thanks!

· Registered
116 Posts
The bezel was originally painted the color of the column.
The lettering was left the same color. The knob of the emergency switch is left black.
For folks (like me) with poor night vision, painting the lettering white would be a great idea!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for checking. I won't paint it because it would be easy to mess it up and look worse, and I know what the switch is without craning my head around to try and read it. The knob on mine was chromed plastic, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts