Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know diagnosing over the internet is easy to do. So let's try this one.

My 1969 S code 4 speed vert is now making a noise (a knocking sound) in the right front end when turning right. The noise has gotten louder and now it can be "felt". I greased the fittings in the front end, including the three that are behind the front tire, and this seemed to alleviate the noise, but it is back again.

I checked the tie-rods and they all seem tight. Might this be a ball-joint issue?, Or what about the hinged joint behind the front tire? (not even sure of the name of it) I had the tire off, but was not able to get a wiggle out of the disc left to right or top to bottom. Is there another "test" to see what the issue might be?

If I need to swap out some suspension/steering parts, someone recommended www.justsuspensions.com to me as a place to go for replacement.

Thank you in advance for any thougths/ideas. For this is what makes this site one of the best around.

Bill

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Can't see it from here, but if you have a shop near by that can get it up on a lift, that will usually help to see better what is worn and needs replaced.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty funny. Are you sure you are looing hard enough? I have a lift, and was peering around last weekend. Nothing seems loose at all, but my feeling is that it is suspension related. I will be getting it in soon for a look. The hard part is not driving it while it is like this.
Can't see it from here, but if you have a shop near by that can get it up on a lift, that will usually help to see better what is worn and needs replaced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check your wheel bearings. It sounds like one has a flat spot or even a galded race. My guess is the right inner bearing.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^+1 - I bet turning right puts enough pressure against that bearing....I'd just repack and replace all bearings while your at it

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If this is a regular/rhythmic knocking sound, I also suspect a wheel bearing.

If its random, I'd start with checking the right front strut rod mount.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You only hear the noise when turning. Driving straight no problem. Greasing all the fittings seemed to by me some time. The bearings is an idea. Appreciate the thoughts. I will follow up afterwards to lt the group in on what the issue is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You only hear the noise when turning. Driving straight no problem. Greasing all the fittings seemed to by me some time. The bearings is an idea. Appreciate the thoughts. I will follow up afterwards to lt the group in on what the issue is.
Yep...that's how wheel bearings show up. It's probably not dry...which is when they talk all of the time. There is probably just the start of a problem on the right side.

On a different note, you may even have a tire clearance issue, but that depends on modifications made to your car. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If its front wheel bearings it's most likely a left inner or right outer because they are heavily loaded on right turns.

my 2 cents Bill

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the thoughts. Didn't get to it this weekend. Hopefully next weekend a diagnosis can be made.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yup, I suspect a wheel bearing as well. Pull em all... replace and repack all at once. Then you don't have to worry about it again for ages.... cheap too ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE----- I brought her in to my Master Mechanic friend and am persuing this route of repair. Both lower ball joints and both front coil spring perches need to be replaced. The rubber boots are shot on the ball joints and the rubber bushing in the pivot of the perch is shot too, causing an audible sound to be heard when turning right at slow speed with a bump causing a transfer of weight.

I found the perches on WCCC but am having trouble finding the ball joints on their site. I am sure they sell them, just need to find them.

In reading about the perches there seems to be a design change out there, has anyone tried these? I am thinking that for my needs of trying to keep my girl as original as possible and I'm not track running her in any way, the original designed perches will probably suit me just fine. Since the front end will be apart, are there any recommendations on other "things" that can be replaced while it is all apart? This is not a pressing problem and will be done at the end of the summer.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for the diagnosing in this thread. The bearings will probably be done at some point, just not right now.

Bill

·
Registered
245 Posts
Knocking=repetative noise...that's why all the bearing talk. Thump or pop=a single mild to loud bunding noise...which is usually a bad suspension or stearing component...like the Explorer I'm driving with the brocken sway bar link...turn right, and pop. I'm really glad you found it. If you aren't getting a knock,knock,knock,knocking sound while in motion, turning either direction, then I would just repack those bearings while you have it appart...just to have it out of the way.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts