Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... who's there?

rod bearings!

Yup, that's right, after two years of frequent oil changes (plus motorcraft filters), correct weight oil and SF specs, gentle warmups each time, no burnouts and no sustained driving above 3.700 RPM, my engine unexpectedly gave in last week.

I was merely idling at a red stoplight that night when that dreaded, dull, diesel-like knocking sound started to chime in. Oil pressure is still fine around 35psi hot @ idle and around 50psi hot and under load or above 1200 RPM. Still, its knocking audibly, and gives off terrible screaching sounds from deep within the rotating assembly when revved to like 2000 rpm in neutral. Nothing like a slipping belt. Motor honey is just a contemporary means of last resort, a band aid to move the heap to a garage.

Whatta shame, it had been running so well. Seems like no component can be left untouched when you want reliability from an old car.

So, my beloved "time masheen" is parked again for who knows how long, until I can find a new shortblock - which would be easiest and most effective when downtime has to be kept to a minimum.

I know myself, when the car sits for weeks without an engine in it and I'm having to wait another couple weeks to get the crank refurbished, get new parts, haul parts through half the country because machine shops are getting scarce in the old world, I usually develop a nasty tendency of procrastination. I can't allow that.

Bummer. I guess this year is gonna be an expensive one, with a much-needed paintjob just around the bend, as well.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
simon;462807Whatta shame said:
Same thing happens with race cars. They always run the best right before they blow.

Sorry about the bad news. That's all part of the hobby unfortunately.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Same thing happens with race cars. They always run the best right before they blow.

Sorry about the bad news. That's all part of the hobby unfortunately.
Amen to that. Let us know what you need....there's plenty of parts on this side of the pond.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Make sure you don't have a cracked exhaust manifold. Rebuilt an engine once and it had the same rod knock when it was re-assembled. Turned out to be a cracked manifold

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yes, my rod bearing that exited stage left sounded more like a woodpecker (hollow sounding) as the rod journal slammed against the bare crank journal while running. Try this: manually turn engine by hand with a big wrench, back and forth and listen/feel for a clunck. It will be pronounced if a rod bearing is gone.

Kevin

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yes, my rod bearing that exited stage left sounded more like a woodpecker (hollow sounding) as the rod journal slammed against the bare crank journal while running. Try this: manually turn engine by hand with a big wrench, back and forth and listen/feel for a clunck. It will be pronounced if a rod bearing is gone.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts