Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had experience with Kiker paints. Getting near finishing up my body work and hope to be in paint before winter. I love their prices but can't seem to find much info on people who have used it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The only paint of theirs that I have used for a body is their Enduro Epoxy which is pretty good stuff. Have to buy it off Auto Body Toolmart since stores can't sell it in California. I have not used their top coats for painting a car body as I stick with tried and true PPG Deltron Concept DCC. I know for a fact that paint lasts and lasts and I haven't found any info about how Kirker's stuff lasts. I have used their black to paint steel rims though and the underside of a hood Alpine white.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Kirker is ok for the money as i used the stuff in the early 90s on my 83 cougar. If your wanting a good brand i heard the summit racing paint is pretty good to use. I used everything from RM diamont to sherman williams to martin senour to duponts chroma premier and it all depends on your budget..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Don't forget that places like Eastwood and Summit do not manufacture their own paints. They get theirs from someone who does and so it then becomes the house brand, Therefore someone manufactured the paints for them. Could be Kirker or it could be someone else. TCP Global sells their Auto Restoration line but with one big difference. The others sell stock colors while TCP will make up any color from any year Ditzler color chip sheet. Sure there are stock colors but Seafoam green surely isn't but they will custom mix it for you in either their line or the PPG DCC Concept line. DCC is $375/gal. then add reducer at $55/gal. and a $110/qt. of catalyst (4:2:1) while their line is $129/gal. plus $40/qt catalyst and $35/gal. reducer (4:1 reducer optional). All ss urethane but there is also bc/cc, enamel and lacquer to chose from.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
... which is why I buy my paints locally, from an end-user (or local body shop) supplier!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for all the replies. It is a lot of food for thought. This will not be a show car just a cruiser and I have seen pics of some kirker paint jobs that look great. I am just concerned about it's durability. I don't want to pay more than I have to but also don't want to be repainting in a couple years either. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
... which is why I buy my paints locally, from an end-user (or local body shop) supplier!
Unfortunately, that can no longer be done in California and my local PPG supplier knows it. He can supply shops but he has lost a lot of hobbyists who won't buy waterborne paints. Since I know the Concept line well I have no problem having TCP ship it to me from San Diego. On top of that their shipping was only $13 for 2 and 1/4 gallons of materials and some DeKups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts