Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I could use a pointer or assistance. I pulled my 72 XR7 convertible out of garage so I could get a new dryer delivered. I went to put it away, but now can’t insert the key all the way to get it started. No amount of key jiggling, moving the shifter, the steering wheel would help. It was getting dark so I put the cover on and Ill try again, doesn’t help that it’s on the street in a two hour spot. I’ll try fooling with it again tomorrow. I just need to get that key in there so I can start it. I’m assuming it’s a bad-ignition switch /interlock issue, but at this point I can’t even put it in gear to push it. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually the lock cylinder itself is the only thing relative to key insertion. IF its not 1--% in the OFF position tumblers are down and the key may be blocked till you jiggle it back to 100% off. Or if something made its way in there it could theoretically be removed. People have told be they used compressed air and managed to blow stuff like spiders and paperclips their kids suck in there out. However, they most common reason for key to go say 7/8 in and then stop...and of course wont turn...is 1 of the tumblers dropped and is laying in the bottom blocking the final insertion...which no longer matters even if you could remove it because youd need that tumbler to still be in place to release/depress to turn the inserted key anyway anyway., Unfortunately, Ive usually had to break or drill stuff out when it drops a tumbler in OFF position. if you have access to the lock pin when you remove your column plastic covers...Ive had occaisional luck driving the pin straight in with a hammer and pin punch.then wiggle and the key cylinder sometimes comes out (It will be destroyed when you do this and youll need a replacement, but when its out you can use a standard screwdriver to unlock column and start car). However it usually needs to be in RUN position to release the pin and slide outward, so there has to be alot of wear to get it to slide out in lock or half lock position. Best luck is stick a paperclip with a tiny bend at the tip all the way in and see if you can yank a loose tumbler out. IF you can,. AND its a dropping tumbler pattern instead of a depressing pattern...then youll be able to rotate the now insertable key without that one MAYBE,. If not...slide hammer or drill and get it out the old fashioned way,. If you need to slide hammer it out, always drive the pin in 1st so you dont hurt the column. If the pin is still extended, it will damage the column colingout and then your new cylinder will be loose or not lock in at all when you replace it...which isnt as bad as it sounds...as it will only be a problem IF you yank on it when its turned...but just try not to hurt it on removal. Life is easier

1 - 2 of 2 Posts