Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 70 [Ruby] the key is stuck in the ignition, I have been told that if I remove it my steering will lock, how do I undo this, I don't like parking her at a public place with the lock sticking out the ignition, its like puting up a board saying "Please break in and see if you can steal me"

I am sure I can find another ignition switch to gip'o somewhere, but I am gong to find my driving very restricted if its locked, ''Sorry Officer, did not mean to hit your little golf with 4600pounds of Detroil metal, but this is the only direction my car goes in", of course our cops here are quite cool about V8's, they pull us over just so they can look at her, normally they stop you and want to check if the lights etc are working, they pull us over
and tell us to open the hood:)
Then follows the long discussion about petrol consumption and how they had or knew someone who had a V8 years ago an so on and on.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Dayle,

There is (or should be) a rod on the transmission linkage that links up to your steering column, locking the steering wheel and allowing the key to only be removed only if the trans is in Park. If your linkage rod is out of adjustment (or missing), you won't be able to get your key out. It sounds like this might be your problem.

The linkage rod is in the engine compartment, right at the firewall and below your brake booster.

Milo

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Milo
I will check it out tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts