Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how the buzzer knows to sound when the key is in the ignition and the door is open ? Im talking about how it knows the key is in ...I have a buzzer that works intermittently and seems to be related to vibration in the steering wheel/column I changed the ignition switch for another reason but not the tumbler

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What year? I think there is a contact that the lock cylinder actuates when the key is in.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There is a springy brass strip in the lock cylinder that completes the circuit when the key is not present in the cylinder. When the key is inserted, the brass strip is moved away from the contact at iss "loose" end. Driver's door courtesy light switch is also part of this circuit (it can have three wires instead of two in this instance).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! furthermore,everytime i touch the relay bracket for the tiltaway[or whatever it is directly under the ignition switch facing the floor,i get zapped ! If i tap it the buzzer goes off,I then mounted it [bracket]with a screw [as it was just hanging under there]and the shocking effect goes away but now the buzzer never works..I believe someone may have had a tiltaway problem w the car not starting and messed things up. Any ideas appreciated sory about this being in the wrong section but i dont know how to move it to tech/restoration

1 - 4 of 4 Posts