Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having zilch for luck in finding replacement door panels. through the yahoo cougar group, someone from ken's (or as he calls it, "ken-ken's") cougars contacted me about reproduction panels for $499 plus $30 shipping. the price seems reasonable but i have a few reservations.

first, has anyone ever dealt with ken's cougars? good review or no?

second, if i put in new panels, i'm afraid the clean, bright white will cause me to chase around the entire interior replacing everything else.

third, the guy i bought the car from said he had checked into repro panels and heard (or knew) that they don't fit well.

so, does anyone have any opinion on any or all of the above?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Kens

Hi 73,
Last year when I did my interior I dealt with Ken with no problems at all. I found him to very helpful and even made sure when I re ordered some dye that it was from the same dye lot.
I have heard some negative comments about him but he was great to deal with from my experience. As far as your door panels I really have no experience.
Good Luck
John
PS Have checked on the swap board? Heeres the link:
http://members3.boardhost.com/67-73COUGARS/

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
follow up question (and thanks, john)

i probably won't do anything until spring, so i'll check the swap board every once in a while. there's nothing there now, but who knows...

i might also wait until after the columbus meet and try to get there. might be something interesting available then or at least i might be able to compare the colors to what mine is now. i'm really afraid to get new white door panels and have them make the rest of the interior look like hell.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: are the 71 or 72 front door panels interchangable with the 73? anybody...?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Door panels interchange

Yes, the door panels interchange, but you have to watch if the donor car has power windows because of the switch cutouts.

Drivers side: The 71-72 used a long switch panel with all four switches in a row. The 73 had a different style master window switch box.

Passenger side: The passenger side switch cutouts might interchange, but I'm not 100% sure. I think the 71-72 had bigger switches, but the bezel might be the same total size. The extra door panels I have are from a 72 w/power so I'll have to check those against my 73 w/power door panels. They're in the attic of the barn right now, and not that easy to get to. I gotta be really motivated to go up there and check. :1poke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man...

I wish I had a barn...

·
5,470 Posts
Ahhhh, the barn

My barn is a 30 x 36 (as big as I was permitted at the time -1100sq ft limit) stick built garage that has the barn-look roof to it. I really wanted to go 32x40, but noooo. That stupid size restriction was only in force for the one year I decided to build my barn. It figures, eh? I really wanted that extra four feet of depth. That would have allowed me to put the cars two deep.

The first floor has only one post in it, the second floor being supported by a 16" I beam down the length of the barn, 18' from one side. Therefore there are no posts anywhere near the car storage areas to get in the way. There are two overhead doors in the short (front) side; a 16x7 and a 9x8. That I-beam runs front to back at the space between the two overhead doors. The 9x8 door leads to a full length bay (36' long). The 16x7 door bay is 24' deep. That last 24x12' section is the workshop (with a 36" entry door on the side of the barn). The aforementioned post in the downstairs area is at the corner of the workshop. The downstairs area has 8' high walls on top of the 2-1/2 courses of block above the 6" slab, giving it ten foot plus headroom.

Access to the second floor is from a 4' wide staircase going up the backside of the barn to a 8'x8' deck and 36" entry door. The upstairs of the barn is 24'x36' clear span (no posts anywhere). Just one big room. It has seven foot headroom (not permitted to go higher because building dept was fearful I'd make it into a habitable apartment or something. Habitable spaces must have at least 7'3" cielings) There are also the 'kickout' areas where the roofline goes out, leaving more storage here for tires, trim, etc.

Garage is wired for 220 for the air compressor/MIG welder, and also has water and phone. Interior of the downstairs is lit with some 28 (!) florescent shop lights. I wish I could have afforded high-output four bulb 8' florescent fixtures when I built the thing. Also, there are outlets every 8' along the walls -- plenty of places to hook up any tools/troublelights I need to use.

Oh, the downstairs is insulated and ready for an oil furnace to heat it. Have the furnace, just not installed yet. Even in the dead of winter, the downstairs stays above freezing most of the time. That slab and the ground underneath make for a real thermal mass.

Yes, I built the thing. After getting the foundation done (long story) it took me (and one buddy, part time) just two months, after work, starting the end of September 1989. The only thing I did not do was the roofing. I could have, but just ran out of time(and daylight) during November.

Beta Cat and the 66 Comet sit in the double bay of the downstairs of the barn. Most of Alpha Cat is stored in the upstairs, the body shell of Alpha sitting on six jackstands in the front two-car garage where the 70 Mach also sits. Also upstairs of the barn is where I have my 'stash' of Cougar parts accumulated over the years. One extra set of fenders, a couple of complete interiors, dash pad, spare bumper, convertible top, door glass, mouldings, grilles, etc. Some of the parts are NOS, some pulled of parts cars (and the green standard mentioned in one of the earlier replys on this thread.)

Nice to have storage, eh? Well, I needed something since the house doesn't have a basement (or parts--friendly attic space)!

Maybe, someday, if I can ever figure out a picture editing software, I'll post some pics of the barn.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like i said...

I wish I had a barn...

That sounds like a hell of a setup. If I had something like that I'd probably spend all our savings on cars to fill it up.

·
5,470 Posts
73XR-9

Well, I had to sell my race car to finance the construction of the barn....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts