Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't the proper way by any means, but if your headlight doors are sagging, and honestly, that alone can seriously detract from a nice Cougar's appearance, I've come across a nice remedy.

Here's what they look like now - pretty straight looking:
http://www.republikad.com/images/cougar/headlight_door_bumper_2.jpg

.. And the solution:
http://www.republikad.com/images/cougar/headlight_door_bumper.jpg

My neighbor had handed off a bag full of these torque bolts with rubber capped cylindrical nuts. The metal threading actually only goes about half way through it, in this case, the ends closest to the existing screw holes both in the light bezel and the underside of the door itself. When they close, the ends of the rubber pieces match up and the door sits level.

Now I don't know exactly where you can get these things. The fellow I got them from said they were for assembling satellite dishes - but they really do the trick nicely. Also good for other areas where you want to tighten somthing down solid and also have the rubber there to absorb vibrations - ie: I used them to mount the horns as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sweet color... do you have any pics of your entire cat in the photo gallery? I didnt see any under your name.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somehow I managed to completely forget about posting pics. Too much to do and too little time anymore. So I sent some up just now. Couple recent ones, both inside and out - as well as a few from the before and during the overhaul.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am thinking about that color when I get my cat painted. Did you pick the color off of a late model car ? and how much was it to paint ? thnx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a BMW color - "Steel Blue Metallic". I had a hook up on the paint so I can't quote an exact price on materials. Probably once the paint base, reducers, primer, sand paper and misc. goodies are added up it was probably around $800 +/-.
I'm not altogether happy with it though, and probably will re-paint it in a couple years. The paint was PPG, not Dupont, so we had all of about 48 - 72 hours to color sand it. Since we did it in January, it was really slow going through that part and the lack of heat in the shop didn't help matters.

However, it still looks scads better than the old paint ;)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
A Stud

You can also use a small bolt and 2 nuts on either end of the headlight plate. It really works well because they are completely adjustable. Having a metal contact is the way to go, it is a solid stop and the rubber tends to flex or not be as rigid look at these pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The stop itself

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These rubber "stops" actually have a threaded shaft of metal up the middle of the rubber about 1/2 to 2/3 of the length, so they're holding their shape well enough while allowing a little shock absorbtion when the doors shut. Hell, Im just happy it's not all droopy looking =)

·
Registered
206 Posts
You guys have inspired me to run to my local hardware store and fix the frown on my cat. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts