Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for any part that I might still have that might have body color on it to compare to the new paint. I notice that the prongs on the opera lights have paint on them. It really looks like the same color as what the car was? How could this be? The lights wouldn't have been installed before paint would they, don't make sense. Also if they were installed how would just the prongs get paint on them? Has anyone else looked at their opera light covers? What did you find on the prongs in regards to paint? I didn't check the housings, tomorrow will go back out to the barn and see what I find there.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok couldn't wait, went back out to the barn. There is no evidence of paint on the housing for the opera lights and none on the headliner where they were pushed through. There is definitely paint on the prongs of the lenses? and it does resemble the body color (fawn).

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The trunk hinges? Maybe that still has some original color?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope trunk hinges were media blasted as well. I really believe these opera lenses have body color on the prongs. Just can't figure out how or why.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya know the sad part is I do lay in bed and loose sleep over crazy stuff like this. I do have much more important things to think about and more sleep would be great but honestly how or why would there be paint on the prongs of these opera light lenses? Not just one, both of them Inside and outside of the prongs but only on one edge like it was running down? The lense sits in a rubber gasket and then into the body of the light, no way if it was assembled could it get paint on it. The body has no paint on it and the gaskets are clean. The headliner has no paint on it where it was behind the lense. Lense must have received paint before it was put in car. Maybe the frosted part of the lense? could they have covered the center and sprayed the backside so as to give it the frosted or white outer edges? If so they did a real sloppy job, would fit maybe but the back of the lense realy doesn't look the same color or as thick.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
A picture here would be very helpful. I am working on reproductions and noe of the sample I have show any indication of any paint color other than the white paint used on the part.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sounds to me like it is just the white paint used in making the part.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be white paint that has kinda yellowed. I will take a couple pictures but it will be a few days before I can get them. Only thing I can think is that the frosted portion of the lens, was spray painted If this is right then they must have put something over the very center where it was clear. The paint is directional in regards that if you lay the lens down with the prongs up the paint is only on one half of the prongs both inside and out. If the lens is in front of you the paint would be on the far side of each tong both to the left of center and to the right of center. Bill I will get you some pictures. Harv

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
I have sold multiple sets of opera lights with white paint on them. Most out of cars that were not white. I beleive it was just part of the production process. Maybe to add more reflective properties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts