Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a “share” for like-minded owners who will understand that what I am relating is not really as straightforward as it seems.
Winter is over here in Toronto and I just “woke up” my 1968 GT with 16,000 (original) miles on the clock.
I did so with some trepidation.
Strange things have happened in prior years during this annual spring ritual.
One year, the power brake booster failed on the spot. After discovering that there was only one shop in Canada willing to “try” to rebuild it -- for about the price of a second mortgage -- I UPS’d it off to the incredibly talented people at Auto Krafters, who, for a reasonable fee (reasonable, as in “the car won’t run without this part”) sent it back in a few weeks later in perfect order.
On a prior year -- true story! -- after taking the vehicle out on the highway at about 90 mph, the front suspension collapsed just as I was coming into my own driveway. [The car is almost rust-free. The problem was traced to a 10 year old repair where the mechanic had “created” a replacement strut rod, using a welder, because, at that time, no repros were available. If that accident had happened on the highway, I suppose would not be writing this]
This year was fun as well.
The car, which was running fine last year, was surging badly. I cleaned the PCV valve -- which needed it -- and tightened the base carb gasket as well as every visible screw on the Holley 1450. The lower right screw on the front bowl was particularly hard to reach, but a $20 “sidewinder” rachet-screwdriver from Radio Shack got it. Almost everything was slightly loose -- God Bless those maintenance-free Holleys, NOT! -- and the procedure not only seemed to stop the surging but also (at least so far!) cured some small gas seepage from the rear bowl.
Oops -- I undid the rear “float view” screw for a quick look and almost lost it. Forgot how small it was. Luckily I found it. Very lucky, in fact. (Although I later found some web sites that will actually sell you odds and ends for the Holley, so I guess I am not the only one with butterfingers!)
On the way back into the garage, with darkness looming, my AMP dash lite started to flicker.
My first thought was that this had something to do with the Jacobs Compsensor I had on the car, but a check with a voltmeter showed an honest-to-God fluctuation in the voltage output at the regulator.
One small problem, I had replaced the reg with a solid state unit just a year or so earlier, and it should have been OK.
Just for the heck of it, I pulled the plastic connector off the solid-state regulator, sprayed it with WD40, and pushed it back on hard.
Problem solved.
Let me be clear -- I love this car. It turns more heads than Britney Spears (well, you sorta know what I mean) and I recall Lee Iococca writing that he thought it was was the best design that Ford ever produced. Period.
But -- how can I phrase this gently? -- the car tends to age whether you use it or not. Like most of you, I have had “adventures” over the years with the rear lite sequencer, the Holley carb (!!), the tranny selector bushing, the lube points (or lack of same) in the front suspension, the rear leaf springs, the headlight covers, the heater fan, the oil pan gasket, etc.
I am keeping a watchful eye on the power steering, which has been problem-free so far -- and I suspect it is doing the same to me.
Did I mention this car has only 16,000 miles on the clock?
Did I mention that, before I put the Monte Carlo bar on the front, the car sounded like it wanted to implode when I turned a corner?
And that to put a modern radio into the dash I had to use a saw?
Or that, to solve a mysterious jerkiness on hard braking, I had to consult the owner of a Shelby 500, who opined, correctly, that a bushing in the front frame had collapsed, even though the problem was “invisible” without major disassembly.
I love this car, but sometimes I think owners of Chevelles and Camaros have an easier time..?
Bob

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Bob Bite your tongue. Chev owners have the problem of theft amongst themselves and are running inferior equipment. History shows w/o Ford there would have been no Dodge or Chev. Did you know the SB chev was designed at Ford? Chev owners are constantly replacing engines trans and rear ends.
Vehicles deteriate irregardless of driving in fact sometimes parking for extended periods is worse for wear. Seems to me that at 16,000 miles (or is that 116 or 216?)you should not be having any problems. Problems should not really start surfacing till it reaches twds the 100K mark. FYI strut rods have been available since 1967. A saw to install a radio???? 16,000 mile vehicles have a much higher value when saws are not used I'd think? Maybe WD-40 the whole car if it worked on reg. (kidding)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx -- but my facts were correct...

Appreciate your reply. And, yeah, I was being wistful about those Chevs. But everything is as I described. The car has a legitimate 16,000 miles, not 116,000 or 216,000. The original purchaser died, and his wife was using the car only on weekends to go shopping. One day she finished her errands "early" and found a tow truck hooking up the vehicle. Except the vehicle wasn't illegally parked and the tow truck did not work for the shopping plaza .. get the drift? So she decided that selling the car to an enthusiast -- me -- was less stressful overall.
All problems are as I described them, and also many I did not describe (for eg -- as an "export" to Canada in 1968, this GT was thrown together from bits and pieces at the factory. It more resembles a 67 under the hood than a 68, diifferent emission controls, different HP ratings. After years of rough running, my mechanic noticed that the Holley 1450 in the factory manual had ported vacuum to the distributor, whereas the one actually on the car got full manifold vacuum....??!! Having a ported vacuum line "added" by a pro yielded the best driveability in the car's history, thank you very much)
And the sawing was done to fit in the new "DIN" standard radio box which takes 99% of all units on the market, whereas there are only handful of knob style units left -- unless you count that co in California that makes modern radio to fit old cutouts. I put in a top of the line Japanese system and the sound is totally wonderful. Looks like factory, too -- same colors as the interior trim (except for the digital readout, heh heh)
YEAH you are probably right -- "not" driving may be worse than driving. Maybe those strut rods have been available since 1967 -- I am not trying to pick a fight -- but when I accidentially stipped a rod in 1990, I was told that the only available NOS stock was for the opposite side to the one I damaged, and that there were no repros at the time. [Ten years later, when the makeshift rod finally collapsed, there were repros to be had, and I snagged one.]
Damn pretty car, though. Timeless look

1 - 3 of 3 Posts