Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just rambling. Been looking at and thinking about getting going on my cat. Haven't done anything to it since last fall. Almost got the paint job paid off. Couple more months and it will be. Then I will be able to start putting some money into it along with wanting to now concentrate on paying the actual car off. This is going to end up being a very expensive car. How expensive? I am almost embarrassed to say however I am very happy with what I have.

I originally paide 16,500 for the car. No rust anywhere and it started and drove with 69 thousand original miles. Had the car shipped on an open carrier from Tampa Florida to Michigan then it was dropped off at the fire hall as the car carrier couldn't make it in my driveway. After sitting for almost 20 years, with some new gas car started, mellowed out and drove home. Every rubber seal on the car was dried out and cracked.

After talking to all yall I decided to do a concourse restoration. I stripped the car down to every last nut and bolt. Sent the car out to be media blasted then to the paint shop. It spent six months in the paint shop before it was ready to come home. The seam sealer is stippled like original. The speckle texture in the trunk on the sides is correct. Correct over spray. Rockers where blacked out with a brush and the pin stripes were done with a brush with the correct bleeding at the ends. Dash was repaint a charcoal metallic to match the inside of the glove box. New headliner was installed along with new vinyl top. When it left the paint shop my bill was 26,000!!

A total of 42,500 dollars spent already. Now I have been refinishing fasteners and polishing parts along with buying new front upper and lower control arms. WCCC and a few others are now on speed dial. In regards to the engine I haven't even started. I want to get the car re-assembled first. The engine is going to be re-built but stay stock and the tranny will be re-built with a new torque converter just cause? I think I can finish the car for maybe another ten grand. All this cause I had a cougar when I was 16. I plan on showing this car and carefully driving it to the shows along with an occasional leisurely drive just cause.

I think I am crazy for the money and maybe would have enjoyed driving the car more if I hadn't went into the detail that I am doing however I am enjoying what I am doing and the car is going to be very sharp and top notch as it can be for a 68 XR7 390 car.

Ok if you read all this you are probably as bored as I am right now. Next couple of months I will actually get back to working on the car and will post pictures then. Time for me to hit the hay so all yall take care and thanks for all the input when I have questions. Can ya tell I don't get out much! :) Harv

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'll be there someday. I have the same plans for my 68 J Code. Only because I have owned this car since I was 17. It's the next car on my list, after I complete my 33 Ford. That car will take me a couple more years to complete (time, work, money, wife, life, kids, other hobbies, etc). I'd have to total all my receipts, but I've already stuck a ton of coin into it (the 68) and it's still all apart. Mainly doing behind the scenes things like restoring parts, rebuilding things or finding key (small or large) parts. Engine and tranny are done. Every nut and bolt is off the car. Really just need to complete the paint and bodywork and start the assembly. If it makes you feel better, this car was only on the road for about two years since I was 17. Stored most of my college life, then set aside after marriage, wife with cancer, kids, new jobs, new house, etc. It's not going anywhere, so it does not bother me too much. I'll get it done.

Thanks for all your posts, I've enjoyed reading them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts