Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lolani: I ordered all my rear suspension stuff from ESPO today finally. I got: New springs (120), poly front eyelet bushings (22), complete new poly shackle kit (46), all 4 rubber insulator pads (20), New U-bolt kit (12), new front spring bolts (6), front coil spring upper insulators (4), new motor mounts (38). Total for everything with shipping and all to my door was only $319 !!! :D
WOW :D THAT'S CHEAP!!! I called my local spring shop and he wanted $250 just to make a set with no bushings. Thats no removal on installation labor either, thats if I took one of mine over to go by!!! I own a repair shop as most of you know and I asked the sweet lady on the phone what the deal was (why so cheap!) and she said they specialize in automotive springs and etc. not big truck stuff like the spring shops I called and they do so much volume of the car stuff they get much better prices and sell much cheaper. She said if I wanted her to give me a price on a set of big truck springs she'd probably blow my mind (expensive since they dont specialize in them!)... :D
She was really nice and great to deal with. I'll let you know about the quality once I get them and get them in the cat...
Scott

·
Registered
429 Posts
The stuff I got from Espo was top quality stuff and fit perfectly. I think you'll be quite happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this post made my day, thats a good price. Ill probly be replacing my rear suspension befor any other work gets done with the excyption of some body repair work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Who are these ESPO people, never heard of them. Info like this is always useful. Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
www.espo.com
They were VERY nice and VERY helpful!!!

Scott

·
Registered
794 Posts
I got great customer service from ESPO. The springs seem to be of good quality. Have fun removing the rubber bushings from the springs they send you. (they come installed on the spring).
I had to drill them out and beat the pi$$ out of them, and air hammer the metal sleeve to get them out. Then the poly bushings slid right in.

scott,
go measure your front spring eye bolt. There are 2 lengths of bolts. My cat had a 6.5" bolt. I was sent a 5" bolt. She said that for some reason they see some cougars that one side of the frame rail was drilled out and require the 5" bolt, and others (like mine) did not get the rail drilled out and the bolt passes through both sides of the rail.

measure now so you can call back and make sure they send you the right one.

I had my brackets powdercoated for 45$

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She asked me about the bolts when I ordered. I had the 6.5" ones on both sides also. I bought an Eastwood" Hot Coat" powder coating system when I first started re-doing my Cat. I've powder coated all my suspension parts. I had to send my rearend housing out to get it powder coated ($75) but MAN is it sweet looking!!! I have a color called "Reflective Chrome" powder coat, that I did my hood hinges, PS bracket, lots of bolts and nuts, and misc smaller pieces with and man it looks real close to chrome! I own a repair business and have been thinking about diversifying (? dont think I spelled that one right!) into other things. I'm going to start looking into re-chroming, plating of other types, and plastic chroming also. I may get into powder coating and plating on the side as a smaller business some time. The difference between and painted part and a powder coated part is night and day as you know if you had some done. Oh, I also am going to try powder coating a set of headlight doors and grilles (not the chrome the black). If they turn out I have several sets I'm going to do and try to sell. Let me know if anyone is intersted in this type of thing! Thanks..
Scott

·
Registered
648 Posts
Diversify and conquer...just don't get too PC :)

This is great news since the rear leafs are the only other mod I'm making this year. Keep us posted along the way...

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
powder coat

I had my air cleaner and oil pan powder coated. Boy do they look sweet. I just sent out every bracket pulley and brace under the hood to be powder coated.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
CrazyCat said:
powdercoat the grille parts? Me did that.....

That looks exactly how I want mine done. How much did you pay to get that done?

·
Registered
794 Posts
about 150$ for all of the parts you see. I got some extra parts done at the same time too. Ask them to use the lowest temp possible to bake the coating. My L and R back sections behind the lights got a bit warped and I had to bend them back to shape.

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has anyone tried espo springs for lowering a cat? According to the lady at espo, they offer front coils that are about a 1/2" lower, and leafs that will lower between 1/2 to 1 1/2". They do not offer mid-eye springs. She said lowering springs are not very popular. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience. Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts