Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, last night my car was in a body shop to have a hood scoop put on and the shop caught on fire. I went by there today and my 69 is a total loss. I have to call my insurance company to see what to do next, but I figured someone here has to have been through this before and can offer some suggestions or things I should watch out for going through this process. I've put so much time and money into this car and had a couple more things I was looking forward to doing this spring so it feels like I've been kicked in the stomach. I'll most likely have some things for sale that I bought or removed from the car that I still have, that'll probably be posted once I go through my garage. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ben

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
HOLT SH!T BEN!!! Very, VERY sorry to hear this. How awful. I hope you'll get a replacement and pick up where you left off.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I feel for you. That's heartbreaking. Make sure the shop owner includes your damages in his insurance claim. The more insurance involved, the better. Let them fight over who pays what. Did you have a stated value policy?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ben, sorry for your loss. I cant imagine what you must be going through right now. Chin up dude! Hopefully you get a decent settlement and can buy yourself a nice replacement.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
VERY SORRY to hear Ben. Don't sell off anything unless you have absolutely no interest in getting another car.

If you do get another, you might need some of the things you already have.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words. I got the cheapest policy to get it on the road so my only chance is with the garage's insurance company. I stopped by there today to see if my car was one of the ones destroyed and it looked like there were only two cars in the garage and the rest were outside and okay. The owner wasn't there since he's working with the police to figure his side out so I have to go back later to get all of his information. It's one of those things like I always read here that you put way more into it than it'll ever be worth but when you get it to where you want it, it's priceless to you. I'd like to get a replacement but this one drained me so good I'll be paying off those repairs and mods for awhile so I don't know when I'll be able to get another one. Thanks again for the help. Not everyone would be able to understand what I'm going through.

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VERY SORRY to hear Ben. Don't sell off anything unless you have absolutely no interest in getting another car.

If you do get another, you might need some of the things you already have.
That's a good idea. I'd love to get another one but I'm guessing I'd have to build up some cash and wait for the right one to come along.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Man sorry to hear of the misfortune. I can tell you what I would do next :puke:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I sure can't even imagine what you must be going through. The insurance on the building should cover the loss. Be sure you get all the receipts pertaining to the car. Even whatever loans for the project. At least, if when the question comes up, you'll be ready. If you can sue a restaurant for burning your mouth with a cup of hot coffee (duh!) you can pursue the the people that were responsible for your car while in their care.

best of luck, and real sorry!

Jean

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Actually your insurance company should help you by interceding on your behalf with the garage owners' insurance carrier. Even if you had full coverage for the vehicle when it is in the care of a vendor, they would subrogate the claim and collect from the garage carriers' insurance company. Have your insurance company find out the particulars on the garage owners' insurance policy, to be sure it was adequate, overwise you may have to get inline quickly for a civil suit, which you want to do prior to any potential bankruptcy filing.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Man that sucks!!! That has been and still is my greatest fear, that the shop where my car is being restored burns down and there is no insurance to cover my losses. Hope it works ok out for.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Can't even imagine and hope i never have to! Sorry for your loss but keep all those little parts you have. Also check if the car was one of the lucky ones maybe there is still hope! At the very least might be some salvage to the parts that were on it?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Wow that reallly sucks! I would be really depressed right about now. The only advice I can add is get all of your reciepts togther on the Cougar. The more documentation you have on what the Cougar is worth, and how much money you have spent/invested in it will help get a larger claim. If the Cougar didn't get to hot you might be able to buy it back from the insurance company cheap and use the drivtrain in another Cougar.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Wow, A car guys worst nightmare. Hope they make you whole again and quickly !

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I just stopped by the shop again and they were boarding it up. I saw the car inside when I was there this morning and not only was it badly burned but the bay door fell on top of it, so I don't think there's anything salvageable. I've been trying to be reasonable and figure there are a lot of people worse off than I am including the guy who just lost his business and his employees who lost their jobs, but then I think of all the time and money I put into her and feel selfish again. I as I'm sure most everyone here treat my cars like my babies so it's hard seeing all my sweat go to waste. I already contacted my insurance company and now just have to get in touch with his and go from there. I'm definitely going to dig up everything I have for it to help my chances out. At this point I'll be happy with anything from the insurance company. Thanks again for the advice.

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Now I'm going through the "woe is me" then sick feeling then anger cycle of emotions. A guy who works there said he thinks it was someone lighting a fire next to the building overnight so if they catch that person I'd love to be a part of the punishment. The only thing I can think to do next time is make sure any shop has a sprinkler system in place. Don't know if that would help but it couldn't have hurt that's for sure.

Ben

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Well, I didn't have a car burn down, but I had my '93 Cobra stolen and stripped to the bone, so I understand your pain (my own pain rears up whenever I see a '93 cobra in a magazine). The worst part is knowing that nothing you could have done would have changed it. I know I was definitely NOT ready to part with my car, even though it was almost 10years old. I'd still have that car today, if I had the choice.

Anyhow, some things to think about: Your insurance should still pay you based on current value of the car, even if you dont have a "stated value" policy. Stated value helps when your car has been heavily modified, which it sounds like yours ...was :-(

What I would do is start to gather data on cars that are identical or very similar to yours that are for sale, or recently sold. Things like actual prices paid, and any recent ebay or craigslist data, or other auction listings, or Classic Car Dealer ads. And of course Kelly Blue or Black book prices. - any of your recent pics that show condition will be good too.
Because your car is "rare" nowadays, they can't just pull out data for your area on what the going price is for your car. They have to gather it up probably for an entire region, or maybe nation wide.

For mine, they had thier price and were quoting prices on GT's and LX's, so I pulled up data nationwide and sent them to my agent. I ended up getting a good payoff on my car.

Condolences for your loss, and I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thanks. Now I'm going through the "woe is me" then sick feeling then anger cycle of emotions. A guy who works there said he thinks it was someone lighting a fire next to the building overnight so if they catch that person I'd love to be a part of the punishment. The only thing I can think to do next time is make sure any shop has a sprinkler system in place. Don't know if that would help but it couldn't have hurt that's for sure.

Ben
I hear ya about the anger. While my car was still missing (hadn't been recovered yet) I drove around THE WORST parts of the bay area looking for any sign of my car sticking out. Didnt' find it, but man, I was MAD, and the cops weren't doing sh!t, and I was MAD about that too!
At the time my Wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day. So I told her I wanted my car back. Sure enough, sunday morning at 7am the police called to say my car had been recovered... and it wasn't good :-(

It does get better over time. But I have to tell you it will probably always hurt when you think about it :-(
Good luck man,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts