Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the powertrax lock right locker and hardened pins with a 3.80 ring and pinion set for my 68 J code with 8" rear end. Has anyone else had experience with how they perform and how to install? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to the question above, I am running a forged internals 302 roller with ported gt40p heads, mac headers / full exhaust edlebrock 600 cfm carb, and last but not least the tremec t-5 transmission and the stock 3.00 open diff, will my gas milage suffer that much from 3.00 to 3.80 gears?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
With that Tremec you are already ahead of the game mileage wise....is this going to be your dd or something? I don't know that setting up a ring and pinion is an easy thing to do.....I'd consider having a shop that does it set that up. Nothing worse than a howling rear!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be my dd for a while, all the mods with the exception of the rear end are done, just tuning the carb. On another note I do have a comp cams mother thumpr cam also installed it is a pain to tune but will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Powertrax lockers are great as long as you never go around a turn in the rain.
Junk. You asked!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It will be my dd for a while, all the mods with the exception of the rear end are done, just tuning the carb. On another note I do have a comp cams mother thumpr cam also installed it is a pain to tune but will be worth it in the long run.
Thump'r cams are gimmicky at the very least. And vacuum will be a problem. I was at one time thinking of using one but decided against it because you get "the sound" but leave a lot of HP on the table (IMO). A properly selected cam for the street would be a much better choice.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Thump'r cams are gimmicky at the very least. And vacuum will be a problem. I was at one time thinking of using one but decided against it because you get "the sound" but leave a lot of HP on the table (IMO). A properly selected cam for the street would be a much better choice.

Regards,

Bob
Yeah, but Dave'll live and learn just like the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Powertrax? I am going to give it to you first hand, been there done that. I have had one in my Wrangler for a few years. it is great off road. But it gives a whole new meaning to "be prepared" for a street driven vehicle. It twitches. It lurches. It pops and bangs. It means learning how your vehicle drives all over again because once you stick a powertrax in it will never be the same.

But it is great off road.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I put a Powertrax unit in a friends 66 GT350H.
Like me, he was a track addict. At first he liked it but coming out of a turn the car would hook for no reason and spin. My friend (as well as myself) thought it was the front end alignment. He tried several settings and the same result, apex/hook/spin.
I drove the car and the same thing. As soon as power was applied, the rear end would break loose and the car would hook to the inside.
Took the Powertrax out, installed a true-trac and the problem was solved.

I remember asking if he was going to sell the powertrax on eBay, "no, I don't want to be involved in someone's wreck".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I will probably not install that locker now, I enjoy living and driving my cougar. Thanks for the advice and if anyone wants to get rid of a truetrac let me know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts