Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting closer to getting the cougar painted! I plan on using ppg deltron 2000 the car has a vinyl top and the jambs are already done so Im looking at the entire car and underside of the hood and trunk so is a gallon on spayable material enough?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+2 - unless your like me and have to do it more than once! It doesn't cost much more than buying it by the quart anyways from what I found out.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It all depends on how "transparent" the color coat is. My color was VERY transparent and I needed a gallon and a half of color. I have a vinyl top. But I also needed to do the jambs, ander the trunk and underhood. But I also did the engine bay as well.

My last daily driver I shot had a half vinyl top and I did all the jambs and body and used a gallon of single stage enamel.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A gallon of paint..to be reduced, should be fine for a color coat. But it will depend on sealer color and desired color coat density. Usually 5 quarts of reduced paint for the average car exterior, plus trunk and jambing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A gallon of paint..to be reduced, should be fine for a color coat. But it will depend on sealer color and desired color coat density. Usually 5 quarts of reduced paint for the average car exterior, plus trunk and jambing.
This is closer to the truth. Above you asked if a gallon of "sprayable" material was enough.....be careful there. You'll need AT LEAST a gallon of paint, which will become about 5 quarts sprayable material with reducer (no hardener in basecoat) for the exterior - since the roof will be used up by underside of hood and trunk. Then you'll need a gallon of clear, plus activator. Did you clear the jambs?

·
Registered
203 Posts
sorry to thread jack, but i will be spraying my 67 with calypso coral, and am planning on spraying it over white primer. the area where the vinyl top would be will be painted semi-gloss/satin(haven't found the actual effect i want yet), as will the area below the lower body line. the guy who is going to paint my car told me i needed 3 quarts and the reducer would double the volume. should iu find another painter, and does anyone have any experience spraying calypso or an orange similar to it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
sorry to thread jack, but i will be spraying my 67 with calypso coral, and am planning on spraying it over white primer. the area where the vinyl top would be will be painted semi-gloss/satin(haven't found the actual effect i want yet), as will the area below the lower body line. the guy who is going to paint my car told me i needed 3 quarts and the reducer would double the volume. should iu find another painter, and does anyone have any experience spraying calypso or an orange similar to it?
If it's Base Clear, it only gets reduces 10-15%, not 100%, (which would double it). If you're not painting the orange on the roof or below the mid-body line, then 3 quarts should be enough, plus 3 quarts clear and activator. Spraying ooranges over a white primer is right.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Still looks kinda reddish on my screen - but it's always hard to tell if it's red or orange if I remember right. I think a charcoal or gray shade across the bottom would also look pretty sharp....
should look great either way you go though.....looking forward to seeing the pics!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The whole red in the dark, orange in the light is what i love about the color... we'll see how long it takes me to get the body work done, these cars just take there time getting restored sometimes...hah

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If it's Base Clear, it only gets reduces 10-15%, not 100%, (which would double it). If you're not painting the orange on the roof or below the mid-body line, then 3 quarts should be enough, plus 3 quarts clear and activator. Spraying ooranges over a white primer is right.
How much the base is to be reduced will depend on what brand of paint you are using, and what line within that brand, and with some brands the orange can be very transparent, depending on witch color code it is, and what tinting colors there is in that formula

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kinda off the subject, but I noticed your Motortrend 1967 Car Of The Year sticker is on the passenger side. So is mine. I read somewhere they are supposed to be on the drivers side. Anybody know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts