Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy was that ever a treat! Mr Blaylock was raised in Texas, went to Stanford for his BS and got an MBA at Columbia. Sheesh, now that's an education! He wanted to work in the auto industry, and Columbia MBAs were being scooped up by Ford back in '66.

He began working at Ford in computer programming in Early '66, and knew about the new Cougar. He hadn't been with the company long enough to take advantage of any purchase deals, but wanted the XR-7 GT and said "screw it, that's the car I want" and bought it from Stu Evans Lincoln-Mercury on order. Stu Evans was a retired Detroit Red Wing Hockey player who had a couple very successful dealerships in Michigan back in the day.

Bill told me that he has newly found relatives of his wife's in Oregon and that he'd come here again. He said he would be delighted to be able to go drive the car again some day soon. I can't wait.

He said the driver's door was repainted way back in the late 60's when "some dayum drunk backed into the door at a drive in Restaurant at 1 am one Saturday night". The car still has 6 cigar butts in the ash tray. He said "well I guess you know I smoked in it". He has been retired for 15 years and is now 70. He said he was really fed up with Ford and after 30 years there was elegible for retirement and is thoroughly enjoying it. He really did pay 80.00 per month since the late 70s for outside storage, and amassed over 25,000 dollars in storage bills during that time. The plates on it have '72 stickers on them. It has 48,xxx miles on her. He said that the vinyl top is in very good shape from being out of the sun, and he's right. It is perfect. He had put the car away so many years ago because it had a carb leak issue and he began to have free company cars and the Cat just stayed where it was. Meanwhile, 80.00 per month wasn't too big of a deal. Eventually, though, logic got the best of him and he's been enjoying a newer car that takes the warm dry place in his garage. He said that he did his best to keep salt off the underbody in Michigan and always took pride in taking care of the GT. The leather and interior, especially, show it.

He was delighted to see that a Cougar did so well at the Barrett Jackson Auction and was shocked to hear that it was my car. He said that the GT-E hadn't really stuck in his mind from those days, as he thought that a GT was "plenty fast, at least in a straight line!". He now drives a Mercedes CLS class which is a very very fancy big coupe. Luxury coupe guys just always stick with what works ;) He said he got it in Germany and did the whole tour thing and drove it and stayed in fancy hotels and it was the trip of a lifetime..

That conversation was such fun. I can't wait to see the Man here in Oregon some day. I told him about Cougar One and Jim Pinkerton too. He will likely be more interested in Cougars now than ever before, it seems.

But he still has that same old Garage space issue...

·
Registered
309 Posts
WOW, how cool is that ! I just wish I could find some of the owners on mine, I'm the 11th owner and only know of three others and did talk to two of them, but they were the more recent owners. The Mistress changed hands five times in one year, I really wonder why. Any way thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'm gunna be in Saline, MI this morning for a job. Maybe I should drive mine!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's exciting and a great story. My dad has had his Mustang since 1974 and he has never met the 'first' owner of his car, so this is really cool that you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts