Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st drive in my new Cougar yesterday !!! Runs and drives great ! 351 4bl pulls fine. Not the power I was used to in my old 1969 Hurst SC/Rambler but a different kind of car. I love it and look forward to enjoying many miles in her out here in AZ.
This looks like the right place to meet some nice people and learn much about these cars.
Thanks,
Matt & Tracy
1st drive in cougar.jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
Congratulations and welcome... Looks like a REALLY nice car, love to see more pics. And you are right about the site a lot of nice people, most are VERY helpful, and it can end up connecting you to locals to meet up with at shows. Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys !!! I have the correct seats but the need to be recoverd at some point. I have all the paper work when car was sold new. I has the 351 preformance group opition for $116.60 back in the day. Don't know what that really means yet but I know it has the high compression.
A few more pics for you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello Matt & Tracy Great looking Cougar like the color combo. Very Clean looking. Looks to have a 1968 Steering wheel you would like the 1969 Better deluxe rim blow. wish you the best.. JOHN

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Could be,thanks. Car was repainted and new top. Great shape but had sun damaged from being in AZ for years.
Cougar was sold from, Phil Schuss Linc Merc in Oxnard, Ca. Was $4,718.60 when new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice ride you have there! The 351 performance group option is identified by "M" code on your vin which ur fortunate to have 290Hp max/360torque on 10.5 to 1 Compression. I have that same package on my 1969 Stardard Cougar too. Are you running the stock autolite 4v carb? If yes, you should swap it with a Holley you would wake up that engine a bit. The autolite was too restrictive due to emision standards.

I think that steering wheel looks out place since the XR7 came with a 3 spoke rimblow.

Arthur

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will look for new steering wheel in time. Do they cost much and can they be found. Got a great deal on car so I wasn't to worried about. Was some sun damage for the AZ sun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check on the forum parts section, ebay or even West Coast Classic Cougars for used ones or restored. Kinda pricey anywhere u find one. I'm trying to find one myself too.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Neat car.

The 351 performance group consisted of the 351 4V engine, F70x14 WSW tires (over standard E78 BSW), "power dome hood stripe" and "competition handing package." (Higher rate springs, HD shock absorbers, larger front sway bar and 6" wide wheels, vs. standard 5.5")

All 351 4V cars received the "M" VIN code, but the 351 performance group was a separate package that not all 351 4V cars came with. Its a desirable and relatively uncommon option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Neat car.

The 351 performance group consisted of the 351 4V engine, F70x14 WSW tires (over standard E78 BSW), "power dome hood stripe" and "competition handing package." (Higher rate springs, HD shock absorbers, larger front sway bar and 6" wide wheels, vs. standard 5.5")

All 351 4V cars received the "M" VIN code, but the 351 performance group was a separate package that not all 351 4V cars came with. Its a desirable and relatively uncommon option.
Great info and thanks !!!! What does this "power dome hood stripe" look like ? Can I still get one.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Great info and thanks !!!! What does this "power dome hood stripe" look like ? Can I still get one.
Stripe looks like this, minus the "CJ 428" lettering, of course:

The stripes should be available from any of the major Cougar parts vendors, or Phoenix Graphix. Be aware that they are notoriously tricky to install correctly, due to the compound curves on the front of the hood.

Here's an article that mentions the 351 Performance Group, and has a picture of a car sporting the 351 version of the stripe:

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/ebay-find-of-the-day-unrestored-69-mercury-cougar-xr-7-gt/

(The bit about the rear sway bar is incorrect. The rear bar was part of the competition handling package in '70, but not in '69.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on the cat!!! Looks like a nice one!!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
A quick look at "Cougar by the Numbers" shows that of the 23,914 1969 XR-7 hardtops, there were 6,803 with the "M" code 351 4V, and only 1,200 with the 351 performance group.

It was also ordered on 1,466 std. HTs, 251 std. convertibles, and 347 XR-7 converts. (3,264 cars out of 100,085 total '69 Cougars, or right around 3%.)

That may or may not qualify as "rare" but its certainly not common.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick look at "Cougar by the Numbers" shows that of the 23,914 1969 XR-7 hardtops, there were 6,803 with the "M" code 351 4V, and only 1,200 with the 351 performance group.

It was also ordered on 1,466 std. HTs, 251 std. convertibles, and 347 XR-7 converts. (3,264 cars out of 100,085 total '69 Cougars, or right around 3%.)

That may or may not qualify as "rare" but its certainly not common.

So should this Power Dome stripe say "CJ 351" ? I would like to put on the black one .
This car also was order with the select-shift trans. Does that mean it's the C-4 or FMX trans? Car came with front disc brakes as well. Fun to drive !! It does need a new master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Stripe should just say "351", no letters. (351 Cobra Jet engine didn't come along until late '71, and was Cleveland-based, not a Windsor.) I know some places sell a "CJ 351" stripe, but its a resto-mod item that didn't exist in the Sixties. (Of course its your car, so nothing wrong with that if you like it.) Likewise, the stripe would originally have been argent (silver) on a dark-colored car, but if you're into a more subtle look, black would be a nice alternative.
Original transmission would have been the FMX.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Oh, and by the way, there's an ongoing discussion, including some detailed pictures, concerning the '69 Power Dome Hood Stripe over at the Classic Cougar Community Forum:

http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/index.php

You might want to check it out and introduce yourself over there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Put a new master cyliner in the Cougar today. Buffed out the paint a bit more. I think it looks better all the time. I see the the rear gears are 3:00 and looking into having the 351 hood dome stripe put on. I see it has a 600 Holly carb on it as well.
A few new pics,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts