Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a beautiful 73 standard convertible. I love the car-its a real head turner. Couple of questions. The engine runs great but the rpms seem very high at highway speed (60 mph). Do I need a new tranny? The previous owner says the engine and tranny were rebuilt in 98 and has 20,000 miles on them. Also the car has no heat or A/C. How do I go about getting heat and A/C?
I dont know much about cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Tranny

I dont know how to measure how high the rpms are but the
car seems to want another gear at 50 to 60 mph. Can I get
different gears in the axle? If so how can I get my hands on
them?

·
Registered
160 Posts
As to how too measure rpms need a tachometer and,as to the rear end gears need to know what gears are already in it. Then go from there and how large the tire diameter is also goes in to the actual final drive ratio and relative rpm.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A easy way to tell rear end gears is to jack up the rear end, but a chalk mark on the driveshaft and a rear wheel. Now turn the drive shaft and count how many time the shaft turns to one revoultion of the wheel. For example 3 turns of the driveshaft to one turn of the wheel = 3.00 gear.mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If its the stock gearing, there is a tag on a center section bolt, if it is numerically higher gears and your not happy with them, I have a set of 3.00 gearing I will swap with you. That will bring the rpm's down at 60mph.

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has 15 inch wheels. Will check my current gears
Can I buy 3.00 gears?? Thanx.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yes you can buy just the gears and any speed shop or parts store. They arent easy to install, but is possible, just takes time to get it right. If you buy just gears, get an installation kit too, it will help and has all the crush sleeves and paint.

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
73DROP you previously said I don't know much about cars in my experience if you need knew gears or just want knew gears,have them installed this job takes some patience to get it right.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I agree with rbaney, get someone to do it for you, it isnt easy. OR, you can buy (or trade) my complete center with 3.00 gears already installed. But I live in BC, Canada, and shipped a center to N.Y. and cost 75.US just to ship.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
how high are all of your engines buzzing on the freeway?? at 65 my cars doing about 2750 RPM and thats with 3.00 gears. is that about right? i have a feeling that my tires are a bit short, so i think thats changing things a bit.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If you are new to old cars, the 3 speed automatics will seem like they need another gear. When I drive my 1994 SHO 5 speed and then drive the Cougar it's very apparent. And that's with moderate 3.50 gears in the Cougar. The Mark III is like 2.80 and cruises effortlessly.

Do you have the data plate (decal in your case)? It will call out the axle ratio. A lot of people would prefer the high performance gears, I'd think twice before changing them. There are people who specialize in gears/rear ends, it's not an easy swap.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
No heat? or A/C?

It depends on why you don't have heat. Are the hosed just routed so they don't use the heater core? That's a common practice if the core is leaking. It's not terribly expensive to fix.
Do you have the A/C compressor and vents, or are you starting from scratch? There are A/C under dash units available.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 70 has a vacuum operated valve to control the water. Yours may be the same only the tubing may be bad.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
73DROP, hope I didnt sound like a weasel, trying to trade gears. I'm not like that, Just trying to help out.

Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gear ratios

Something you should consider before going out for stock gearing.
First if you want to check the RPM's at hiway speeds I'm sure you can find a tach for little money (under 50 bux) and they are plenty easy to install, a couple of wires and the mounting (you don't even need to mount it if you don't want to keep it long term and don't want mar your interior with a couple of new holes that don't belong). I have 3 to 1 gears in my 67 and it does rev a little high at 60 (I forget exactly) and I think that's why so many new cars come with an overdrive gear now adays to meet fuel economy standards. Remember though that as you go down in gear sizing, in addition to lowering your hi speed revs you sacrifice off the line acceleration. I belive the options for cougars were 2.70 to 1 (better fuel economy lower revs on the hiway) 3.00 to 1 (middle of the road) 3.73 to 1 (performance minded) and 4.11 to 1 (1/4 mile material). Consider what type of driving you will do the most of; free way crusing or punching it off the line. Also if you determine that you have tall gears and want to go back to stock, 3 to 1 or better, the wrecking yard or the recycler is one of the best souces since most folks out there are looking to retire their 3 to 1 gears and get more pep out of a tall set of gears. One thing that I've heard of that makes alot of sense is upgrading to a 4 speed electronic OD transmission, giving your car that extra gear with out dropping down in rear axle gearing...best of both worlds....I don't think it's an even swap though, it may entail some conversion parts/accesories, but from what I hear it's worth it.

Just food for thought, enjoy your Cougar!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts