Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Never had a Cougar before and really never though about getting one but I ran across this one a few days ago. I am more of a Pontiac guy but I heard that Q code engines were sought after or something but I don't know too much about them in Cougars. Can't really find much info on them.

This car is a 1 owner and had not been registered in over 22 years. Went and looked at it, read the vin and bought it. I have not gone through it but I did notice the A/C is date correct. I was told it was completely original and it does look like it but I'm no expert by any means that is why I am on these forums. We got it started but didn't sound great....the gas was like 22 years old so we will drain it tomorrow and try again. I just don't know too much about these. Is this car rare?

IMAG013334.JPG

It is an AZ car and has little to no rust.
Original Color
Stock hubcaps
It has disk in front drums in rear.
It is an xr7 with white leather seats. No console :(

Where would I find the build sheet on this? I looked under the back seat and nothing was there.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum. According to CBTNs (Cougar By The Numbers), there were a total of 2557 Q code '72 XR-7 HT's built. 156 with a 4 spd and 2401 with an automatic. Here is a link to where you can purchase that book and other books like The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook, which will help you decode tags on your car. If you're interested on finding out info on your car you can get a "Marti Report", just put in your vehicle information and then click where it says "Select & Click Here" then where it says "Marti Report". www.martiauto.com . John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. According to CBTNs (Cougar By The Numbers), there were a total of 2557 Q code '72 XR-7 HT's built. 156 with a 4 spd and 2401 with an automatic. Here is a link to where you can purchase that book and other books like The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook, which will help you decode tags on your car. If you're interested on finding out info on your car you can get a "Marti Report", just put in your vehicle information and then click where it says "Select & Click Here" then where it says "Marti Report". www.martiauto.com . John

Cool...thanks a million 68PUMA :)

Do I need to run leaded gas in this car? Or boost the octane or can I just run premium in it? I'm worried about that because I've never had a car this old other than a 72 trans am.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool...thanks a million 68PUMA :)

Do I need to run leaded gas in this car? Or boost the octane or can I just run premium in it? I'm worried about that because I've never had a car this old other than a 72 trans am.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what the '72's with the Q code engines ran for gas, regular or premium (I don't have any reference books to look at :(). Since the car has been sitting for 22 years, and I know you just bought the car. If it was my car, I would replace the gas tank and fuel lines. The gas has probably turned to schlack in the tank and could eventually do damage to the engine if you started it back up again. I would start to drain the tank so it would be easier to remove the tank out without the weight of the gas in it. Then I would replace the fuel lines and the give the car a tune up. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but someone else would chime in with recomendations. Good luck. John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of damage could I do to the car?

I did notice the tank was almost empty when I got it and for some reason the gas cap was missing.

Do not know what the actual tank inside looks like but the tank itself looks amazing....like new...no surface rust on the outside and clean almost like it had been replaced before. The gas did smell extremely old.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You can do damage if you don't take time to clean out the old gas. A new tank isn't that expensive and it is like cheap insurance. You need to do an oil and filter change as well along with new coolant. The belts and hoses will also need to be replaced but you don't need to do that before you get it running. I would suggest pulling the spark plugs and shooting some penetrating oil into the cylinders and turning it over by hand to help pre-lube the engine before you try to start it. Welcome aboard! Pat Price

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok Pat went an bought most of the stuff like you said. Tranny had no fluid in it? so I bought that and a transmission filter. Type f fluid or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We will soon see....I should order a tank to be safe. My friend says it will be ok....I just hate taking a chance fo screwing the engine up. Will try to get running probably today or tomorrow. Will see if i can post a video.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
1. It's not that rare. Well, it is, but people aren't lined up for them. It's got one of the best engines Ford ever released on the street with the CJ. The Cleveland engine is a great powerplant, but the CJ was the nexus of streetable power in American offerings. I love the CJ, and I love the Cleveland more than any engine out there. Well, almost.

2. 91 Octane all the time. Make sure the distributor advance plate is free and that the vacuum tubes are in the right places. People do odd things. Check the timing.

3. The engine can be ruined when you suck trash into the carburetor and some cylinders run leaner than others. You burn pistons that way. And, the stock pistons weren't really super duper parts anyway.

In addition to the very good advice you've received here, replace the fuel pump with the tank and lines. The pump's bladder can crack when it dries and then is forced to move when you run it. This will flood the engine with gasoline and dilute the motor oil, potentially wiping the bearings out and costing you an engine.

4. Get a Marti report, as mentioned. It could be rarer than you think.

·
Registered
389 Posts
another vote for replacing the tank. especially since the cap was missing. that means moisture and or water DID get in there. theres no way around it. airborne moisture over the last 22 years alone will rust the tank inside.... but if it ever got rained on or snowed on or anything water got in there.

the tanks for these cars are pretty dam cheap on fleabay and other sources so its certainly worth it...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
did anybody say to replace the tank lines and fuel pump! LOL Welcome

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Run a good oil that has Zinc. Here is a link for example.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/zrt.aspx?zo=0

Also Valvoline VR1 is good and also over the counter Zinc additives.
Good point also about the fuel pump, replace it as well.
Replace all fluids even the rear end oil. You will be able to sleep at night.
Very essential advice. Don't say "ah, it'll be ah-ite" and throw some oil in there that doesn't have a zinc package. You can wipe the cam out in no time doing that. I use the aforementioned VR1 or certain brands of motorcycle oil made for American V-Twins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we took the carburetor off. Its very sticky (tacky) gummed up.

I would take to guess if this is gummed up so are the lines?

IMAG0145.jpg

I cannot find any numbers on this carburetor other than a 9? Where are the serial numbers used to identify this sucker?

Also how should this carburetor be clean? I have never taken a carburetor to be cleaned ever in my life. I don't know the ins and outs could someone please give me some advice?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the ZR1, couldnt get the amsoil. My friend a drag racer runs the high zinc non street legal oil, $12 a quart ouch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts