Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a '69 Cougar, old owner said it overheated he shut it off and didn't drive for 10 years....he thought it might have jumped timing?? I have spark at a spark plug, turning over, using starter spray and can get to even cough. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll give that a try. Appreciate all the help. Dying to get this car started. So I can get a starting point. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not good we’ve had rain nonstop in North Georgia. He’s whereI’m at today I think I’m at top dead center. I’m attaching a picture of the rotor and pointing to number one which is the first plug on the left. Am I even close to being in the right position?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, someone just explain to me that the rotor button should be pointing towards the number one on the distributor not the plug, my mistake. So now my question is can I loosen the distributor enough to get it to that position and then will it fire? And you sure there’s nobody in North Georgia that wants to come help me. I can compensate them a little bit for their time.

·
10,987 Posts
The camshaft rotates twice for every rotation of the harmonic balancer. The distributor only fires when the piston is just before TDC on the compression stroke. You need to determine where the distributor is when at TDC #1 cylinder on the compression stroke - i.e. both valves are closed. Typically means pulling the passenger side valve cover.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If you used the top dead center tool properly and you have crank/number one piston is at TDC.... then the rotor should be pointing to that number one terminal ... If it is way off I would lean towards believing that the old owner was honest and correct and the timing chain has jumped ... Don't try and start it ... pull the front timing cover and check.

·
10,987 Posts
The issue is that there are two TDC's possible. One is the correct one on the compression stroke, the other is the incorrect one on the exhaust stroke. You need to know how to use the tool if you want to avoid seeing the distributor 180 degrees out of time. There are two rotations of the crankshaft for every rotation of the distributor. Without seeing the valves you won't know which is which.

If you used the top dead center tool properly and you have crank/number one piston is at TDC.... then the rotor should be pointing to that number one terminal ... If it is way off I would lean towards believing that the old owner was honest and correct and the timing chain has jumped ... Don't try and start it ... pull the front timing cover and check.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Yes Royce ... Part of using the tool correctly is to remove the # 1 spark plug and crank the motor over until you feel compression on number one .. then using the tool as in the instructions to find TDC manually turning the motor back and fourth making your lines and finding the middle But i see your point if they do not do the first step pulling the valve cover will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts