Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After 20 years of bugging the original owners I finally got one of the nicest cougars I could expect for the money i shelled out. I got a 67 XR7 dark green 289 4bbl with the black top. The great thing about the car besides the fact that I knew about this car in highschool is that it only accumulated 33k miles and still carries most of its original parts. The interior is amazing and the original paint looks like it shine up nice. I have a few things I want to do without making drastic changes to the originality of it. I plan on dual exaust and upgraded wheels. I was thinking steel style wheels or maybe cragers since they were the business back in the day. What are your thoughts. This car even retains the inspection stickers under the hood. Would I be crazy to paint it, change the wheels, and exaust? Thanks and I hope to hear everyones opinion. How important is the original parts on our cars to potential buyers/collectors?
Jesse

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Sounds like the changes you want to make are easily reversed. Go for it. Don't paint it though unless it really needs help there. If the original can be made to look good I would go with that.

Pictures would be nice!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you are going to change the wheels and tires check the shocks and see what it has on it. If it has the original shocks and if you are planning on putting new shocks on the car I would be interested in the original ones.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Congratulations, Sal

·
Registered
945 Posts
Congrats on the new Cat ! Just my .02 on wheels, if your talking crager s/s I never thought they looked good on fords.Yet Keystone Klassics also resemble in a way the magnum 500 wheels and they are a cragar product. Enjoy the new ride! :smoke:

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Hi all. After 20 years of bugging the original owners I finally got one of the nicest cougars I could expect for the money i shelled out. I got a 67 XR7 dark green 289 4bbl with the black top. The great thing about the car besides the fact that I knew about this car in highschool is that it only accumulated 33k miles and still carries most of its original parts. The interior is amazing and the original paint looks like it shine up nice. I have a few things I want to do without making drastic changes to the originality of it. I plan on dual exaust and upgraded wheels. I was thinking steel style wheels or maybe cragers since they were the business back in the day. What are your thoughts. This car even retains the inspection stickers under the hood. Would I be crazy to paint it, change the wheels, and exaust? Thanks and I hope to hear everyones opinion. How important is the original parts on our cars to potential buyers/collectors?
Jesse
Nice! If it were me I would first get a Marti report. http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm
Get the steel style wheels, cragers show up on different makes of cars, steel style wheels belong only to Cougars.
For the exhaust you may want to look at the transverse exhaust system. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-TRANSVERSE-EXHAUST-KIT-2-25-/390059472906

Then show it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
cragar rims or mag 500s would look sweet. no larger than 15's.... 17s and such look ridiculous on a classic.....

keep it old school, and put some wides in the back and skinnys up front.... if u change anything, change things that are EASY to unbolt and swap back...and keep the old parts... dont paint it, polishing it should clean it up nicely it sounds..and u'd have a much more valuable car...

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
We really need to see pictures. It sounds like you have a very nice car. Like Andy said its only original once. A lot of wheels look good on Cougars. Not everyone wants their car to look like all the others. Wheels are easy to change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments. Harvey. the shocks are original to the car. The only things that are not original when I go the car was the fuel pump, Distributor Cap, Plugs, and exhaust system. The gentleman took it to sears in the 70's to change it out. I was leaning toward cragers but I think the steel styled wheels would look just as good and would keep it looking more original. I think I am going to go with a custom dual exhaust. I hate kits because they always don't fit the way they are suppose to. I will get a replacement Autolite carb this week for it and I hope to bring her home to MD later this month. As it stands she is in my father's garage in CT. Question If I were to go to Crager SS what would be the right wheel? Would 15's work without clearance issues? Thanks and I will upload the original barnfind pictures soon.
Regards
Jesse

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you would be interested In changing the shocks I would be real interested in the original ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Harvey
Aside from keeping them with the car after I take them out like the original date coded plug wires from autolite what would you like to offer for them? I may be interested. PM me your thoughts. I plan to keep this car as stock as possible with just a few upgrades like wheels and exhaust.
Regards,
Jesse

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Hi all. After 20 years of bugging the original owners I finally got one of the nicest cougars I could expect for the money i shelled out. I got a 67 XR7 dark green 289 4bbl with the black top. The great thing about the car besides the fact that I knew about this car in highschool is that it only accumulated 33k miles and still carries most of its original parts. The interior is amazing and the original paint looks like it shine up nice. I have a few things I want to do without making drastic changes to the originality of it. I plan on dual exhaust and upgraded wheels. I was thinking steel style wheels or maybe cragers since they were the business back in the day. What are your thoughts. This car even retains the inspection stickers under the hood. Would I be crazy to paint it, change the wheels, and exhaust? Thanks and I hope to hear everyones opinion. How important is the original parts on our cars to potential buyers/collectors?
Jesse
Don't paint it!!! There is a lot of interest these days in VERY original cars even if they have worn paint. I would go with 15x7 SS wheels, Cragers have the wrong offset and will rub. The SS wheels will give it an original look. Consider hanging that intact original exhaust in the rafters if it is solid, if it is weak chuck it, go with duals and do not look back! Post some pics when you can, sounds like a car to grow old with.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Definitely keep the original paint. As they say, 'they're only original once!'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts