Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.8 V-6 and I'm wondering about the gas mileage. I filled it up a week or so back, hit the trip meter and drove it until it was buried on empty and the low fuel light was on. I drove 302 city miles before filling it again. It was full at 15.3 gallons. The handbook says it has an 18 gallon tank. True or not? If true, I still had 2.7 gallons in the tank? I mean the needle was dead on E and I didn't want to drive any further before getting gas. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Where are you at? How recent has the engine been serviced? PLugs, wires, etc....O2 sensor? Any indicator lights?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Probably was about right. You may have had that much left OR the tank will not fill 100%. Even if you had that amount left, do not count on being able to get it all out. Sometimes you cannot pick up all the fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Be thankful the gauge is a little pessimistic. Just under 20 MPG in one of those is pretty good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I had the engine serviced. Needed a cam sensor, O2 sensor was fine. Had other odds and ends done. Needed sway bars (rods) oil change, new alternator, new tires, new filters etc. No indicator lights are on. The check wallet light was on, but cam sensor took care of that. The car only has 67,900 miles on it. I bought the car from a guy (he bought it new) who had been battling lung cancer for several years. It had been sitting for the last two years rarely driven. He has since passed away. Needs some cosmetic work done. Pine sap has dripped on it and it had mildew on it from sitting so long. It runs good so far. So, 302 miles at 18 gallons equals about 16.7 MPG. Does that sound about right for this car?

Someone asked where I'm at. I'm in Wilmington, NC. Southeast NC, right on the coast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts