Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace fuel pump and sending unit. Tank is almost full. Old gas. Looking under the rear looks like it has cv joints instead of a third member and axles. Is it safe to place my jack under the
third member/pumpkin? I need to get it high enough to remove the fuel tank and that rear end doesn't look that tough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any advice.
The body is really in rough shape(setting out in the sun for several years). The gas also was very old. The city told the owner to move it or be fined. Somehow he got it started long enough to
move it from the driveway to the back yard. He said it ran really rough but he made it to the back yard and there it has been for several years. Anyway I removed the fuel filter and it had about as
much fuel in it as one would expect. If I remove the fuel cap and get someone to turn the key on I can hear a click which I think is the pump relay but no fuel pump running. Guess I wrote a lot but
am just trying to give some idea of what is going on. Never worked on a Cougar

So if I can get this posted without deleting it, like I said any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Slimdp1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, welcome! If I remember correctly this has a "saddle" type fuel tank with the driveshaft running under it. The rear pig would be strong enough but I'm not sure it's that would be the best place to lift it. You're going to need all the room you can get. Pretty sure you have to drop the rear exhaust as well, might be able to get away with just removing the exhaust from the rear hangers and letting it hang but support it. And it almost seems like I remember having to drop the rear pig to get the driveshaft out. Wow it's been many years since I did these. There's a Facebook group "Mercury Cougar Owners" that I know would definitely be able to answer your question with more solidly. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome! If I remember correctly this has a "saddle" type fuel tank with the driveshaft running under it. The rear pig would be strong enough but I'm not sure it's that would be the best place to lift it. You're going to need all the room you can get. Pretty sure you have to drop the rear exhaust as well, might be able to get away with just removing the exhaust from the rear hangers and letting it hang but support it. And it almost seems like I remember having to drop the rear pig to get the driveshaft out. Wow it's been many years since I did these. There's a Facebook group "Mercury Cougar Owners" that I know would definitely be able to answer your question with more solidly. Good luck!
Hey there viperlady! I cut the hoses and so far have gotten a little more than 10 gallons siphoned from the fuel tank. I was going to spray WD-40 on the bolts holding the tailpipe to soak overnight. There are no bolts in the hangars instead they are welded lol. I don't see anyway to remove it without a cutting torch. There is a heat shield under the gas tank and it looks like an intentional saddle just about the tail pipe in the heat shield. It may be that if I get the tank loose and then drop down on the passenger side the tank might be able to pass over the tail pipe. I don't see any other hindrances to getting the tank out. Will keep you advised of my progress lol.
Have a blessed rest of the weekend.
If you think of something feel free to let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't tell for sure if that heat shield is part of the fuel tank. I am going to take the strap off and see what happens next. Wish me luck, I'll need some super blessings. Thank you LORD for always being there. Seems like the only ones on here that know how to change this fuel tank or will respond are the ones who know how to remove the seat and cut a hole in the floor board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts