Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to the junkyard today and scored a set of complete C9OE 351W heads off of an M code Montego today. the engine was COMPLETE as can be on that car. the car itself is pretty much all there. including the rim blow wheel. ( its a Montego MX ) the rear end is already gone, and the rim blow has a crack in it ( not TOO bad ) and the switch is all screwed up, hence why i left it there. if any of you are in Southern Cali, there is the rest of the 351W there. including a COMPLETE short block with flat top pistons. the entire AC assembly of the car too. there is also a 70 Ranchero with a complete 351C in it too. 2bbl, but its complete. and yes, its a 351C not a 351M. no Cougars worth speaking of though, the oldest one there is a pretty ragged 75 with a 351M. and those engines are aplenty. alsmost makes me wish i raced with them, they are EVERYWHERE and CHEAP. about $200 will net you a complete one. and 460s are al over the place there. are the junkyards as great out back east or in Canada as they are here? oh yeah, i do plan on going back for that 351W short block for a friend, but i bet it will be gone before i can get the cash from them. but if it goes, id rather one of yall here gets it. if i remember right too, someone on here wanted a 351W crankshaft too... and what better one is there than the 69 piece??

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Wrecking yards in BC, Canada are getting extint for old cars, everything has been picked thru with a fine tooth comb. That kinda sucks. There was one guy that had 4 69 Cougars, but wouldnt sell ANY THING off them. But wanted to buy my stuff, so I sujested we trade parts, but he didnt want to, so I wouldnt sell to him. He got crap from someone and got his yard seized and ALL cars crushed. That was the only GOOD yard around. There are a few others that deal in old cars, but they are so expensive and wont part any of them out, and wont take them bck after you buy the whole car and take what you need. That sucks too, but life goes on.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
All the yard in my area seem to be the same way - picked through real well, or it's so expensive you need to take out a loan.
To bad all those Cats got crushed:cry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
how much is the balancer going for? i need one of those currently

you're right though, there are plenty of junkyards with older cars here in cali for instance, about 3 blocks away from my school there are two next to each other,with plenty of mustangs, galaxies, and rancheros, but currently only i cougar (what's left of it anyways). i go there after school somedays just for fun, see what's new

·
Registered
669 Posts
None in So.FL. except for a few guys around who specialize in old stangs and the such. They have maybe 50 cars or so including a couple of Cougars. Not an authentic yard per say. The closest for that is in Orlando, 3.5 hr drive for me. That guys yard is full of old Fords..all he has and all he puts in it. Got a set of 302 4v heads for $200, they just needed a good valve job. The extreme So. FL. humidity is terrible for cars sitting around on the grass.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cougar1 said:
Got a set of 302 4v heads for $200, they just needed a good valve job
really??? wow, i hate to brag but i paid $75 for the 351W 4v heads ..... as far as the balancer, i bet it will be around $15 or $30 for it. not too bad at all.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, i saw another engine at the junkyard. im not sure what it was, im thinking that it was an FE of some sort. it was a 2bbl engine, but the thing that made me think that it was an FE is that the 1 and 2 spark plugs were facing toward the rear of the car. the 3 and 4 plugs were facing towards the front of the car. same thing on the other side of the engin eas well. ( 5 and 6 towards the rear and 7 and 8 towards the front ) what could this engine be?? it was in a 70 LTD or something. there wasnt a door tag on the car that i could read so i couldnt pull an engine code off of it. but hey, maybe it will be cool and you will find it might be a rare 428 2bbl or soemting he he.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Actually $200 isn't bad when you consider that 302 4v heads were only made one year and are not that easy to come by. Now 302 2v heads probably would have been a lot cheaper. Also consider that So. Cal has an abundance of cars (noted by the massive traffic tie ups) and lack of humidity which keeps the cars and parts around in better shape and for a much longer period of time. The larger concentration of population also makes for a lot more car nuts keeping things active more so than other places.
Food for thought!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the yard i go to doesnt discriminate about what kind of head it is. flat pricing for heads...... 4 Cylinder - $29 6 -- $29 ( each ) 8 -- $29 ( each ) plus a core charge of $5 each head and tax. could be a nice set of 351C closed Chamber 4v heads, or a low compression Chevy V8 head from the smog years. all the same price. the main limiting factor is whether or not your particular part will be at the yard and for how long. ive gone many a times to pull parts only to find that the car had been crushed already ( most recently a 69 Cougar, a 68 Riviera and a 64 Riviera )

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wish I could find a yard like that around here, man. I'd be in there getting all kinds of things to modify my Cougar! Like a 9 inch rear with gears! Unfortunealtely the greater Miami area yards only have the new stuff. All the old stuff would be a two or three hour drive. Don't think my kids (3&6) would particularily enjoy that....:(

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive been looking for a 9 inch chunk with a traction lok and some decent gears in it, but so far no go. that damn Montego that i got the heads off of already had the rear end gone, but it was the same as mine ( 3.00 open ) there was a 70 Ranchero there too that had the rear end gone too. i couldnt read the tag on it cuz, well, the door tag was gone. maybe someone scored as well. but dammit, why am i so poor?? i want those engines there. the 351C the 351W and the FE ( still dont know what it is but it sounds like one to me-- would it be a 390?? in a 70???? and an LTD??? sounds oddball to me )

·
Registered
23 Posts
hmmm... $15- $30 bucks for a balancer... if it's im good condition i'll take it. i just might be able to score a 9 inch if i look, on wednesday i saw two that looked promising, but i couldn't investigate further, i'll probobly be checking again soon.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill take a look and see if it still there on Monday most likely. Tomorrow is Pomona Swap Meet time and ill be heading out there to check out the goodies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts