Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm very exited to be writing this as it is about my latest cougar acquisition. Here's the story. IT all started when I purchased a standard parts car in Geogia, and to make things easy I was looking for a winch to pull it onto a trailer. So on I went to my local shop, and they asked me how much weight I needed to pull. I said the weight of a 69 cougar convertible, 3500 or so pounds. Well, they wanted way too much for the winch so I declined and was on my way out when a young man who had just started there asked me if I needed any parts for my car. "Well, I can always use parts" was my reply. He then preceeded to tell me of a 69 convertible that was only about an hour away that he had purchased, but then backed out on.

So I made the short drive and found it, languishing between a volkswagon beetle and an old sedan. Not that it looked like much, fenders on the hood, dirty, etc. So then I decided to purchase it for parts. (I have two other 69 convertibles). The junkyard owner preceeded to lift it up with a lift, and my jaw dropped. I saw what I thought were the floorboards falling to the ground. My jaw then dropped again when I realized it wasn't the floors, but just a bunch of tree bark, and the floors where spotless and rust free. Shocked, I handed over the $400 he was asking for it and had him set it on my car trailer. I asked him the the story on the car, and it goes like this: It was an original Florida car that was driven up until 1984 at the University of Florida (car still had 84' plates and UF parking permint) when it was put in indoor storage at the back of a business. It was restored off and on until 1999, when the store went under and the owner left it there. The new owners didn't want it,and so it ended up at the junkyard. I hauled the beauty home and after spending about and hour and a half getting it off the trailer unharmed (No rear axle, frozen discs in front). After it was unloaded, it was time to see what I'd bought. Well, here's a list:

69 XR7 Convertible
Absolutely ZERO rust! Rust free doors, fenders, floors, hood, trunk, quarters, need I go on?
Original motor/transmission
A/C car
Disc brakes
120k miles
" M" Code 4 brl
CLEAR TITLE
Tinted windows
Original AM radio
Console
Black leather RECOVERED seats in perfect condition
Origiomally Aqua mettalic in color
Pit- free chrome
Trunk full of parts - including pair of mint eyebrows and NOS gas door lens
Only major things missing are the rear axle and door panels

Needless to say, Im very exited about this project and plan to start restoring it beginning of next year. Expect to see me on here every once in a while looking for parts and adding updates. Sorry to write for so long, but I feel this is a story worth telling.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i know how hard it is to have to put up with looking at that in your yard. if i can help in any way with you removing it from your residence, let me know. ill even make it so that you break even as far as price. ive got $400 around that ill give you to help remove the vehicle from your yard.

he he he...... sounds like a killer kick ass roundabout deal ... make it perrrrrty

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
congrats i love hearing rescue storys they just make me warm and fuzzy. okay maybe not warm and fuzzy but glad just the same. make sure you send the numbers to phil parcels so he can add it to the registry.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
69 convertible

Jim,
cant go wrong for 400.00 God and it being rust free thats even a better find then what i did w/ my eliminator.Wish you the best on your new prodject.I`m sure it`ll be a well worth prodject.By the way what color do you plan on going with it? Original aqua color?
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 eliminator MADCATT(turning it into a pro touring car SUICIDE style)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I found a vert also

the one I looked at in ohio,was basicly a parts car it was all there but in very bad condition major rust in all the usual places and home made sheet metal work on the inner fenders.I offered 300.00 I havent heard back yet.its a 351 sport

·
Registered
669 Posts
Shweeeeet..... What are the chances of that!! Rust free! That's a story to tell your grandkids about! Nice to see it going to a Cougar enthusiast. Good thing the car stayed inside all those years. I'm in south florida and i know how brutal the rain and humidity caould have been on that car if it had been left outside with the top leaking.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yup, same with HI. My Cougar was COMPLETELY REDONE, and redone right, in 1996, already has rust bubbles all over... AWESOME FIND! In HI, we DREAM of NO RUST!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts