Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bob
"Picasso of Cougar" huh? OK, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But I just hope he doesn't spend too much time on that G & L car site that Art gave him and then he ends up painting his "CatMobile" pink! Holy Pink Kitty Batman !!!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Didn't your Momma ever tell you not to squash other peoples dreams?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Great vid Royce. This is entertaining. LOL

·
Registered
5,883 Posts

Don't hassle the hoff!

It was once said that you couldn't build a bulletproof, helicopter jumping, turbo boosted, artificial intelligence loaded, wicked retaahded TransAm(tm).
It was also said that putting a moving red light in the hood was not wicked pissah cool.

This could be the beginning of something big. Knight Industries big.

Let's see what happens.

(RIP Gary Coleman...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Umm...good luck? I suggest you invest in some paint stripper and a scraper if you don't have the proper tools. I really hate to see a classic Cougar hacked up but to each their own.

BTW just curious on how old you actually are and how much autobody experiance you have?

·
Registered
418 Posts

Don't hassle the hoff!

Man now I need to clean my comp screen! :lolani::lol:

All I gotta say is I am enjoying this spirited disscusion as well.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I just don't know what to think...
"I didn't know what to think.
I carried it around with me
for days and days..
playing little games
like not looking at it for a whole day
and then.. looking at it.
to see if I still liked it.
I did."

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
68Fastcat is probably wondering what he stepped in.

Fastcat, a word of advice. Most of the people on this board are looking for real answers and real advice. They are not playing pretend games. They know what it takes to do the work, or they are genuinely interested in learning how. And there are a few here that have the experience to provide invaluable assistance. When some one comes along that proposes to do very difficult things, yet lacks ownership of even a stubby screwdriver or a set of jack stands, then that person is not going to be taken seriously.

These old cars are getting more scarce. Maybe before you start cutting one up, you might try seeing if you have the ability to just get it running and driving. That is no small task in and of itself.

It is as if you decided to try brain surgery with a butter knife. Assuming that you can jump in there with no tools, and no experience and build a custom car is insulting to the people that know what is involved.

Restoring a car is, in my opinion, more difficult and more time consuming than graduate school. I could have gotten through medical school in the time it took to restore my last project, and I think it would have cost about the same.

There is a saying that a project cars requires four things: money, skill, tools, and time. One out of four isn't going to cut it. You need to use what money you have to buy some tools, and build your skills by learning the basics first.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Well said Bill.

Now speaking of stepping in something...

I was going to go with something a little more succinct. Something like what Mechanic2 said to Clark Griswold in National Lampoon's Vacation: "You musta got manure for your brains" :buck:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
There is a saying that a project cars requires four things: money, skill, tools, and time. One out of four isn't going to cut it. You need to use what money you have to buy some tools, and build your skills by learning the basics first.
Bill,

There is a case where you only need 1 of the 4, and that is money, but you better have a lot of it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Maybe before you start cutting one up, you might try seeing if you have the ability to just get it running and driving. That is no small task in and of itself.
Please read this ten times..over and over and over.

This is brilliant advice.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You guys are making me laugh. Buncha old salty dogs y'all. Tell me what's wrong with pre-planning, seeing what something looks like on the cheap before you start digging down into it and put in the awful amount of work and time it would take? Honestly you guys.

Car mods are often done bad, this is why I'm taking a lot of steps, playing around with sketches, using cardboard and duct tape to see what different shapes of metal looks like before I take the dive. Once I cut a body panel, there's no turning back.

You guys can't handle it cause you buy cougar frosty flakes, collect weird things related to a cat due to inane obsession and quite frankly are explicitly attached to your cars. I realize you all love the look of them, but I personally think there's a lot of room for improvement. Things that make a cougar a cougar -- trademarks muscle cars have that we immediately recognize and go "oh damn, thats a nice 71' xr7 bro!" I'm trying to keep the elements, despite how people at gas stations tell you its a mustang or charger.

I want to keep the muscle car look of a cougar, but at the same time I want subtly and better flowing lines/panels. Granted I could restore it simply as a cougar with the STRAIGHTEST grill, hood, fenders etc you ever seen, but I don't want to, I want to go beyond that and give the car something to compliment it, alter the design a little. If you guys want to give me flak for that, by all means go ahead. It makes me laugh, although I wish I could get some better feedback other than comments from guys who are too obsessed with the cougar's original body. I'm not trying to clone it into another car or make it into a brick with wheels, or in its current case, a block of swiss with wheels, but whatever. :) I'll continue posting, updating, sharing my ideas and once it gets down and gritty to it -- when I find something I think id be happy with and has a good balance of style, subtly, function and looks, you'll get to see pictures. But right now it's just paint stripping/welding in chassis stage and I am -still- waiting for my friend to bring tools by.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you only had a Clue...........

"I am -still- waiting for my friend to bring tools by."

Something tells me there's a flaw to your plan!

We are not bustin' your balls about the mods/Ideas you have, but rather, the way you are going about them! You need to R E A D the posts! We are not annoyed by someone wanting to make changes, we are laughing at a fool who is destined to fail because he lacks the Tooling, and experience to pull off such a grand feat.

All of us who build/customize/ restore these cars, as well as the chevy/Mopar camps, have at least the basic necessities to do the work on them. a pair of pliers, and bubble gum makes for a pile of scrap that the junk man MIGHT give you fifty bucks for!

"It's Better to be thought a fool, than to Open your mouth, and remove all doubt!" - Mark Twain

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
... and people do roller-paint jobs. Not everybody is you, not everybody is rich. If I want to do something, am determined to do it -- I will find a way to make it work, and it will happen.

·
Registered
798 Posts
... and people do roller-paint jobs. Not everybody is you, not everybody is rich. If I want to do something, am determined to do it -- I will find a way to make it work, and it will happen.
Then shut your Soup-Sucker, and Make It Happen Cap'n!:piss2:
The Man Who did the Roller paint Job Had the tools to do it, and Posted the finished steps of the job,...Impressive in my book! , We've seen a hundred Starry-Eyed Idiots come across these forums, so we can pretty much tell when there is too much Acid being ingested! Next time your buddy shows up with the Crack-Pipe, send him home to get his Tools! all I can say is; "Get a Life, And Get to work!"

41 - 60 of 581 Posts