Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Buying the body was a fruitless evandouer and the guy was an ass, so in the end i started some work.

Cold chisel, popped the emblem cougars off the headlights, popped off the shiny parts from the headlights, started stripping paint and attempted to remove the floor pans ill-ly equipped. To think you guys laugh at aluminum grills is a goof, after throughly sepereating the parts it's easy. Pics soon to come.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Spent all day doing misc work on kitty. Removed front and rear windshields, that wax/gum is ... a chore. Once I was done I had a good 2 pounds of that stuff lumped on cardboard. Played around with some ideas and disassembled a few more things. Made a friend who has lots of connections and access to tools, so a full blown metal shop is at my disposal and I'm definitely within the budget/ability to do my crazy ideas now after being blessed with such charming personality and intellect!

First step I'm taking is prepping the body, removing any rust, patching it, doing minor body modifications then he and I are going to weld up a full tube frame chassis to stick that fat SOB of a lincoln engine in, which I'm still working on getting. You guys will brick and I'll make you eat your words >=(

What's in the works: Lower body line delete, Upper rear delete (I do not like how it flows.) Custom rear end merging two rear bumpers together then sticking a spolier similar to GSX buick on it, custom front end with aluminum grill six headlight sceme instead of 4. Scarlet red with small gold flake paint, black stripe along the side. Not sure yet if i feel ballsy enough to use gold trim instead of chrome -- both look amazing on that color scheme. Full tube chassis, custom interior, custom dash. Yes Jimmy, you're going to eat your words I promise you. That's all for now.

Pics for the reading impaired, just a warning, not for slow connections.

http://img710.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1011234.jpg

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You guys will brick and I'll make you eat your words >=(

What's in the works: Lower body line delete, Upper rear delete (I do not like how it flows.) Custom rear end merging two rear bumpers together then sticking a spolier similar to GSX buick on it, custom front end with aluminum grill six headlight sceme instead of 4. Scarlet red with small gold flake paint, black stripe along the side. Not sure yet if i feel ballsy enough to use gold trim instead of chrome -- both look amazing on that color scheme. Full tube chassis, custom interior, custom dash. Yes Jimmy, you're going to eat your words I promise you. That's all for now.

Let er' rip, tater chip!:D

·
Registered
748 Posts
New Pics

Keep your creativity going!

I like the looks of the two bumpers around the tail lights.

Hey, Foose and Trepanier dared to be different!

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you put it out there for all to see, be prepared for anything! Maybe you could use the glass from your crack pipe to get it started LOL
good luck with the project

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ugh, I am sad to say my friends craftsman drill bit the dust while I was using it to strip paint with a medium grit disc. Setbacks are such a PITA, tomorrow I have to dip into the funds and buy a new one. Thinking about killing two birds with one stone and getting a nice big angle grinder to gut the pans and strip paint with. I really thought I was going to have the drivers side Q panel to bare metal today :(

It'll be awhile before my custom mods start popping up. I have a quite big to-do list, but the engine and trans will be out by saturday or sunday. I should have her buck naked to bare metal and on jacks by july, so that's when I'll get to custom work.

Anyone know of a product that I can use to get that nasty assed wax/gum gunk around the windows used to seal it, and the grey stuff they used as sound deadener? I tried to find some orange-glo at sears but they don't got it. I really don't want it to get on bare metal then possibly mess with primer adhesiving to the body in the future.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thinking about killing two birds with one stone and getting a nice big angle grinder to gut the pans and strip paint with.

Anyone know of a product that I can use to get that nasty assed wax/gum gunk around the windows used to seal it, and the grey stuff they used as sound deadener? I tried to find some orange-glo at sears but they don't got it. I really don't want it to get on bare metal then possibly mess with primer adhesiving to the body in the future.
Get a DA, or a palm sander......angle grinder will generate a ton of heat if not used properly, and warp things. And wear a dust mask/respirator of some type for that kind of work.

As for the product to remove said nasty assed gum/gunk....introduce yourself to a putty knife, paper towels, and lots of degreaser type cleaner. IIRC, I used 409, or some such, right up until I decided to send it to be blasted, then just said forget it, the blaster will take care of it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I found out about needing dust masks the hard way about a week ago. Hoping I can get started on the paint stripping tomorrow. If angle grinders are that bad I may invest into an air compressor, they outlast electric motors. I have a nice one back home but have no way to get it here, it's one of those older 60s-70s hulks, 200 gal..

·
Registered
163 Posts
OK I have been watching this chit with a grin for quite a while here and I finally gotta comment. No air compressor? craftsman drill? I was a young buck with wild ideas but wow! I am with the put down the crack pipe crowd:smoke: Stoned, drunk or whatever, I would not only eat my words to see this but my hat as well!!!! Great entertainment

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If there's a will, there's a way. You want something done but dont got the cash or gear, find a way to make it work

For an instance.. i tried to get the rear wheel well chrome trim off, but i dont have a screwdriver short enough to properly angle to reach the screws... so I took a phillips screw bit, cresent wrench... wala, problem solved. I am a self reliant problem solver. Anyways tomorrow some new pics will get posted if my friend comes by with tools this week, or if I go buy some stuff at sears.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If there's a will, there's a way. You want something done but dont got the cash or gear, find a way to make it work

For an instance.. i tried to get the rear wheel well chrome trim off, but i dont have a screwdriver short enough to properly angle to reach the screws... so I took a phillips screw bit, cresent wrench... wala, problem solved. I am a self reliant problem solver. Anyways tomorrow some new pics will get posted if my friend comes by with tools this week, or if I go buy some stuff at sears.
If you put the car on jack stands and remove the wheels/tires you could have more easily solved the problem.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
As they say in Boston: "wicked retaaded!". Your car will make an excellent basket case for someone in the future.

·
Registered
980 Posts
When people say ... "what is wrong with the kids today"?...it is good to know that this website is here and I can trot this out and say "SEE"!! I would wish you good luck, but you'll need more than that.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Spent all day doing misc work on kitty. Removed front and rear windshields, that wax/gum is ... a chore. Once I was done I had a good 2 pounds of that stuff lumped on cardboard. Played around with some ideas and disassembled a few more things. Made a friend who has lots of connections and access to tools, so a full blown metal shop is at my disposal and I'm definitely within the budget/ability to do my crazy ideas now after being blessed with such charming personality and intellect!

First step I'm taking is prepping the body, removing any rust, patching it, doing minor body modifications then he and I are going to weld up a full tube frame chassis to stick that fat SOB of a lincoln engine in, which I'm still working on getting. You guys will brick and I'll make you eat your words >=(

Here is what I think. Either you are very naive and ill prepared to do any of the modifications you suggest and you are going to trash a nice Cougar or you are just having fun with us real Cougar enthusiasts.

I think you found the pics of the white Cougar somewhere on the internet and you are representing them as yours. For example, if I blow up the license plate on the wall in the picture below, it is from Colorado and not Montana where you say you are from.
So, take a single picture of your car with today's date on it and post it directly to this forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
im gonna sew a really big pillow and stick my 67 xr7 under it so the hot rod fairy will fix mine for me at night. now i just need to borrow a sewing machine from somebodys mom and make friends with a chicken rendering plant manager to get a literal ton of feathers to stuff it with! ill let you borrow it after im done!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lmao Kensmayer, you're so clever! That's my room mates previous plates. I also got some washington plates and idaho plates laying around. The only reason i tried to get trim off without jackstands is because I don't have jackstands right now. Damn right im ill equipped, hence im borrowing tools and trying to keep my budget on the down low. You want proof that it's my car? Sure thing buddy!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Art -- I'm a little sleepy this morning, so it took me a few seconds to get the "join" meaning. However, you owe me a new keyboard since I had coffee in my mouth when I realized how appropriate your special interest site is for our friend 68fastcat.
Ken

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
You guys need to back off, man. Throughout history, people who have dared to be different have been chastised, can't you see that we are in the presence of greatness? No need to bring sexual orientation into question here. Wise up you guys and show the proper respect to our very own "Picasso of Cougar".

Now, back on topic, I think that our young friend here could make the car body of his dreams using some cardboard boxes stolen from the dumpster behind his local grocery store. That, a little paper mache and elmers glue and Voila! Not to mention that working with these materials will fit both his budget and tools (if he needs a box cutter for the cardboard, I am sure one of our fine members will step in/up and provide one).

You guys can poke fun all you want, I am happy and proud to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Yep, he's going to prove you all wrong (and I helped). :toung:

I can definitely see greatness and a glimpse of things to come, just look the difference your self reliant problem solving skills made with wheel well molding removal! Hard to believe there are still doubters after that brilliance.

Rock on dude, I can't wait to see the next installment of your groundbreaking, cutting edge, avant garde, George Jetson, Whiz Bang classic car innovation.

Like Art said, I am digging this thread.

21 - 40 of 581 Posts