Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a J code with an Edelbrock 1406 carb on it. I just bought this car and know very little about its history. I have been tweaking the carb to get it right and it is better than it was when I first got the car. I have no real trouble starting the car, but is sure does seem to burn rich. I went through the idle/mixture steps have have it pulling 18" at 650 RPM. I'm going to continue to work with the mixture/idle settings. But, I can't get the choke to work. It wasn't even hooked up to power when I got the car. I wired it up to an ignition circuit 12 Volt (I'm using the backup lamp hot). It measures 13+ volts at the choke when the car is running. So, the choke is getting power. I loosened the choke screws and turned the choke coil body and the choke does not move. A meter across the choke connectors show about 9 ohms. This would seem to me that the choke coil is bad. Is that normal, or should I be looking elsewhere. I'm still learning about this carburetor. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

·
Registered
928 Posts
Greg is you J code a 68 or a 71 - I'm assuming a 68 as they are far more common.

If it is a 71 please send me a PM as I would love to talk to you more about your car.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
It may have been jetted up. Have you pulled a plug to see if it actually running rich? Does it have a performance cam by chance? As far as the choke goes, you can get new ones to replace them when they fail...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1478/

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the original carb (it was in the trunk). My dad told me I ought to put it back on there. The choke vacuum tubes going to the exhaust manifold need to be replaced. One of them was broken off.

As for the cam, I have no way of knowing. But, I doubt it. The car is almost all original everywhere else. I've only had the car a few weeks and the plugs were new when I bought it. Before I adjusted the carb, it was spurting black soot on the garage floor when I started it. I'm not sure I've driven it enough for deposits on the plugs, but I'll pull one and see. I'm still a little new at this.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here is the rest of the info on the tag:
C8ZF D
B 8B15
Here is the breakdown: C8ZF D-Used on '68 302-4V with automatic trans & also the '68 Shelby GT350 to #1225, B-Change level-2nd & 8B15- Date code when manufactured: 8-1968, B-Month of Feb., 15-15th day. John

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did figure out the choke problem. I took the coil off and the screw that holds the pivot arm to the choke linkage was totally out. I'm lucky that little sucker didn't fall down into someplace that would have been a pain to find. So, I put it back it. All is good.

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.