Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I have driven my car a couple of times with an Isky cam made up for the cars modifications I have come to an opinion. I can say without a doubt it is absolutely terrible. Extremely disappointed would be an understatement.

This compared to the old Crane Fireball which had a fair idle and a high rpm power band. This cam was definitely a dog under 3000 rpm but over that it screamed. I could pull out in front of a car on the Bay Bridge Treasure Island entrance, which is not really and entrance as much as dropping you right into the traffic, punch the Cougar and it pulled away in a flash. I just wish the power band was a bit lower in the rpm range. Nonetheless, I was able to live with it for 35 years.

The Isky cam has NO power band to be found. My 0-60 time is far under the Crane's 1/4 mile time. In fact at 65 mph it feels as through you are being held back and even here it takes longer to go from 65-80 then the Crane from 0-60. In fact I don't think the car could hit 100 mph now. Going up a slight grade at 30 mph required me to drop to 2nd gear to keep from losing speed. The idle may be great but this engine is no fun to drive with this cam and couldn't get out of it's way if my life depended on it. I put the car through the gears manually from 1000-5000 and found nothing. In short no low, no middle and no high.

So obviously this is going to come out and I'll probably send it back to Isky as junk. This means I need a new cam to put in my car. Something that has a slightly better idle than the old Crane. Something that has low end power without having to put the car into 1st to generate high rpm quickly if one wants to move fast a stop. Something that is nice to cruise a 40 mph back road or 65 mph freeway and have pop when you hit the gas. Granted I have a 3.00 rear, auto and stock converter but if I had gotten a notch down from Crane in 1974 I probably still be using that cam today.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Picking a cam has to be the most difficult thing to decide on. I am just starting to rebuild my 289 and am going with Comp Cams XE256H cam. My machinist said that is a nice cam but thinks the next one up would be better if you already have full length headers and a good intake. I am shooting for a DD with just a little extra power so i think the 256 is a little small for what you want.

On another note i work for Comcast and my area is P Hill. Mostly around alhambra and P Hill rd. I have been on the uss hornet a couple of times. We may have crossed paths at some time. Maybe i will see you driving the cougar some day and we will talk.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
hat are the specs of the cam you put in? I had the same results with my comp cam that I put in my 69-351W. Then after I was done, I looked at the specs....3.73 gear +, 3500 stall...
Once I had gears and new TC, it was a whole new car!
You found out what happens when you only change part of the drive "train"....I'll bet the cam card recommends at least a 3.50 gear, and 2500 stall TC...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, no. Every aspect of the car was given to Isky right down to tire diameter. You describe a more radical cam given the 2500 stall converter. LOL, this thing is the smoothest idle you have ever seen and that is all it does well. My 289-2V has more go while the Cougar is right now about the same as my mother's 1974 Pinto auto wagon from back in the days and it was a DOG.

After 3 hours have narrowed myself down to Crane 272 H10, 278 H10, H-272-2 and H-278-2. The crane 284H 12 looks to be similar to the old Fireball I had.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sure they didn't slip you something other than what you ordered originally perhaps...? I have used ISKY cams in various other cars over the years and found it to be pretty well engineered. It is crucial to match your TC though - or you will be set for disappointment.....I'd question if it's in good shape and is what you think it is...? Might be your trouble if you don't have any sweet spots in the power band at all....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What were the specs of the cam you got?
From what I recall it was duration @ 0.50 of 208/214, lift @ 0.50 0.445/0.480, lsa of 108.

Currently looking at 3 single profile grinds and 4 dual pattern grinds. Four from Crane and three from Comp.

Crane: they spec lift using 1.60 rocker like mine
266 H10
272 H10
H-266-2 (LSA of 114 on the wide side probably)
H-272-2

Comp: they spec lift at 1.50 rocker so I need to add approx. .025-.027"
260H
255DEH
XE256H

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - that looks more like an RV or truck grind...? No wonder it's kinda flat.

If your running the 1.6 rockers your gonna want to stick to the ranges that won't require any PR changes if you can avoid it but, you really will need to work through it carefully to be sure your geometry still works out OK. Won't be the end of the world if you have to make a change I guess....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most likely will order a Crane H-266-2. Puts the power band in the range of where I use the car and the cruise range for the cam has my engine right in the middle. The engine doesn't see too much above 5000 rpm as one would expect from an automatic. My cruise speeds are 1600 rpm @40 mph and 2400-2800 rpm for 65-80 mph. It is at those speeds where I want the engine to respond the moment I want it to. The previous cam either was not correct or something happened to it 'cause a stock J code cam would be better than it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why get a cam from a company the does not specialize in Fords? I find very few people on this forums talking about Cam Research, seems everyone is in love with Comp cams? http://www.camresearchcorp.com/about_us.php

Bill
Could be because I have never heard of this company and now I have. I have also talked with them 15 minutes ago. You are right in that it is much more informative talking with someone who knows your engine as soon as you say J code 302. While the fellow on the phone was definitely a no nonsense type of guy he was able to get down to the meat of the matter and give the confidence that he knew what he was talking about. Long story short is that they are in the process of making a camshaft right now and will then break it in before sending it along with the new numbered lifters. Says I will be pleasantly surprised at how it performs in my 1500-3500 rpm target range.

Thanks for the recommendation...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts