Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 1967 base model cougar, which originally would have had the 289 3 spd std i believe. Now it has a 1987 5.0L H.O and matching AOD 4 spd Auto w/OD. It would seem that the cable that shifts my transmission has broken :( adding yet another item to the list of reasons why this car is not on the road yet! :bloated:

Being that the shifter is an aftermarket B&M one, and the trans is an 87.. what do I look for in terms of a replacement?

I have no idea.. this car has been a learning experience for me for sure! LOL I have owned it since 2004, and driven it once illegally around the block after doing the head gaskets, water pump, and re wiring all of the engine bay wiring. That was 2 years ago.. :( the car actually makes me want to just kneel down and cry every-time i see it when i pull in the driveway..

Basically what I am saying is I need to spend all my time and free money on this car, it is what needs to be.. I gotta show this thing some love.

I'll post some pictures of the shifter and its ends so you guys can see what im talking about.

As you can see it is a B&M Ratchet shifter.

I'm almost wondering if this isn't a B&M part??

·
Registered
524 Posts
This does look like a b/m part. You maybe able to oole the part #. A friend of mine order his at the local Canadian Tire with the part # from the installation manual he had.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't readily find a part # in the dark out there, and I don't know if a 6ft cable would be too long? I'm guessing its probably a universal size eh?

Thank-you very much.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If it is too long B&M tell you too loop the cable.

Tell me.. How is the cable broken and is how you have the cable in the picture it's permanent mounting?? I ask as the shaft of the cable is supposed to be mounted into the notch below the bolt and where it is may make too tight of a radius bend for it to move back and forth freely.

This is the same cable as what is in my B&M Mega Shifter and they come in 4, 5, or 6' long.

Look here as this is the 4' version of what you need.
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Shifter-Cables_2/Performance-Shifter-Cables-4ft-Cable

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see where it is broken, both ends of the cable look fine and the whole run of the cable itself is not obstructed or anything. Yes this was the permanent mounting of the cable.. I guess it has been that way problem free since I bought it in 2004, mind you the car has maybe seen MAYBE 3 hrs of usage in that time.. ??

I don't know what prompted the cable to crap out on me, but I will for sure pull the cable and measure it before I order another one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
shifter cable II.jpg
Yse I think the cable should actually be pivoted on the bolt so the cable run thru where the arrow points--maybe. Check all your grounds on the battery and frame. If they are not properly grounded it will use the cable as as ground and burn it up!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the way PO had it set up is so it can make the extreme angle down in to the tunnel.

I guess when I replace it i'll try and set up some less drastic route. I will for sure check up on the body ground! I would have never thought of that before.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still haven't replaced this.. :( the car hasn't moved since I last posted in August. What a disgraceful Cat owner I am eh? pitiful.

Come to think of it there is no body-battery or body-engine ground.. therefore any of the power being grounded to the body in the car was making its route through this cable.. It lasted some 8 years in that configuration though! lol.

Guess I need to figure out what cable I need and put in a body to battery ground cable.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
:>) yep the ol lack of ground thing will bite you right in the butt at some point. The factory one wasn't the best anyway - so anything is an improvement. Sounds like your shift cable became the fuse...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
When you go to order the cable, check on the optional "heavier duty" cable. My Summit insider got me one of those as a warranty replacement for mine when it snapped. The heavier one is MUCH heavier and was the same length. Please don't ask what length this is or for the part number. This was about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sadly, i don't see any of these heavy duty cables you speak of Hero.. :( but there cable claims 600lbs strength.. I figure with a body to battery ground, i wont have this issue again.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I never saw or knew of one either until my Summit guy mentioned it. Maybe give them a call.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh too late :( I didn't see your post till after I put my order in.. To my door for $77, not bad at all.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ah a slow Canadian winter project just like mine! LOL!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its -24C here where I am in Ontario.. and the garage is getting mighty cold! lol The Cat has seen no love :( Sometime this week if it warms up to above -20 ill get out there ;)

Hows your project coming along? :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well mine is detoured by +7 to +10 degree celcius weather and a house I have been renovating since buying it in March. We also just lost my brother in law who hung himself on December 18th so my wife and I have been going back and forth to Vancouver Island over the holidays to help out her sister and her 2 young children he left behind. That kinda screwed up my holiday time from work and to be able to spend time on the car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune over the holidays, I too experienced a loss. Grandfather was in the hospital for fluid in the lungs.. held on for the holidays then finally gave up on the night of the 26th. How some people will hold out to ensure noone else's time is made sad..

I just havent had anytime on the car, because apparently I am the man of the house and I need to do everything.. blah blah. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts